Steering gear box issue?

I replaced leaky steering box gear with a  remanufactured one on 1972 GMC C15 and did perform full turns for left and right (approx 15 each side).  Noticed turning to right is harder than turning left than the old gear box (it was 2 weeks ago).

Noticed another leak, it was the hoses so I replaced them both today.  Did the flush and 15 turns on each side.  Right turn still feel more difficult than the original one.

Am I missing something here or could it be the steering gear box that need to be replaced again?

If I understand you correctly, you turned the steering wheel 15x each way lock to lock. Yes?

On a stock style box the steering wheel should turn 1 1/3- 1 3/4 times to the left and the same to the right. 

That being said, how are the ball joints? Greased? Tie rods? Center link? I would grease those and try again. 

8 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

If I understand you correctly, you turned the steering wheel 15x each way lock to lock. Yes?

Yes that’s what I did and did more than one turn on side too.  I didn’t have problems with right turns on old gear box.  Does that means my steering pump is bad now or should I take the remanufactured gear box for another box?

The steering box out of a gmc pick up doesn't align with the steering arm of the Monte Carlos. (the flat spot on the gear isn't the same.) Which is probably why you had issues with resistance. But that many turns (lock to lock) is worse than manual steering. 

I'd take it back...

The steering boxes from Jeep Grand Cherokees (late 90's) are a bolt in, provided you get the metric hose thread conversion kit. 

There's tons of articles that can help you find the right one. (12.7:1 ratios) 

Best of luck.

I believe what he is saying is he turned the steering wheel lock to lock 15 times, to bleed the power steering. Not that he has to turn it 15 times in order to reach lock to lock. The fitment may be what’s causing the excessive steering effort, find one for our vehicles and retest, you know the pump worked before as the old gear box didn’t have trouble turning one way.