Woodgrain Console inserts

Rare SS

I am an old-school sign painter of 35 years and a graphic artist with 25 years of experience using vinyl overlays (now called "wraps") I recently bought what seemed to be the best and closest reproduction wood grain vinyl for the console insert.

Although it is very good quality, the fact that they "die cut" the final pieces to fit exactly is the biggest problem!

The manufacturers should have produced these vinyl pieces larger than needed so that the end user could trim them to size, because #1,  you can almost never place something which is the exact size with proper accuracy. #2 There's shrinkage Jerry! *Seinfeld reference*

You can see where it shrank (the white edges of the backing sheet). The end result is the vinyl ramping up over the chrome edge on the shifter bezel; it fits on one side but not the other.

To be fair, I contacted the distributor and he was quite concerned. He said he would replace this for me once he got this figured out. Easy fix? Make the pieces L A R G E R than needed so we can trim to fit!

Also using a better quality non-shrinking vinyl is key here. A few hot days with the windows up would make it shrink as well!

Jeff 1970 SS BLACKScreenshot_20211121-022122_Gallery.thumb.jpg.877da7caec8b2d9d2a8df6893c00d1e8.jpg

Screenshot_20211121-022331_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211121-022230_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Where do you buy the inserts? I need to replace mine also. 

I will be at the shop today and look at my invoice to see where i got these.

Btw, there are several out there...some with accurate patterns,  others not so great!

Jeff

• Like 1

Just now, Jared Richey said:

The ones in the catalogs are totally wrong pattern 

This one is right

Correct! It matches the dash and even has the small "grooves" on the print. Looks and feels real. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, Rare SS said:

Ok, i went to the shop and found the invoice. 

Here's the guy I bought them from

Screenshot_20211121-193124_Gallery.jpg

Do you then cut it to size and use your own adhesive? Or did it come made for our cars

1 hour ago, 1970mcss said:

Do you then cut it to size and use your own adhesive? Or did it come made for our cars

It's a vinyl decal/ sticker with adhesive on back. Its"die cut" (to size and shape) for our cars.

The problem with vinyl is thevinyl shrinks after you cut it and these fit on one end of plate, but are short (from shrinkage) on the other end. 

They just need to sell us a piece larger than we need so we can trim it to size ourselves. Once stuck down, shrinkage is not really an issue.

Jeff

5 minutes ago, Rare SS said:

It's a vinyl decal/ sticker with adhesive on back. Its"die cut" (to size and shape) for our cars.

The problem with vinyl is thevinyl shrinks after you cut it and these fit on one end of plate, but are short (from shrinkage) on the other end. 

They just need to sell us a piece larger than we need so we can trim it to size ourselves. Once stuck down, shrinkage is not really an issue.

Jeff

Thanks, I wonder if he makes them and could be told to leave them longer. Maybe I'll call him this week, thanks again

Yes,  when I suggested that, he said he would speak with the manufacturer. I didn't follow up yet, but if you're speaking with him, you can show him these same pics I've posted. (You can tell him I'm the guy from canada who called him) over the summer.

He should also sell a kit, where you'd have enough material to do your steering wheel hub, dash and console.  The carpet then matches the drapes! 🤣

• Like 2