Fender question

Dtret

I’ll try this way because it’s the proper way. Has anyone ran into a fender in which the fender and rocker molding holes were all 1/2 inch high. All my body lines are lined up but the molding is off. Looks stupid. If I drill new holes the original rocker holes will be seen between the two moldings. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. PS the fender is not original to the car it is from a 72 but that shouldn’t matter. 

Take a few pictures. Curious how the bottom of the rocker looks compared to the bottom of the fender. Something is wrong here.

• Like 1

I took the fender off after I beat it like a lawnmower, nothing lines up now. Just kidding but the fender is off the car. I can get it close on the body lines but I may also pull the molding off the door and run a straightedge 

12 minutes ago, Dtret said:

and run a straightedge 

Exactly. The lower rocker trim holes have to line up along the entire length, or you'll have trouble installing it. Same with the upper molding pieces, they obviously need to line up too, though there's a little wiggle room there because that one on the lower fender bolts on, hence the little bit of play.

I looked up the part numbers in the parts catalog but of course the only have a different number for the ss emblem so I'm sure they are all thecsame size as the molding infront of the wheel well. Are you trying to fit the fender with the wheel houses attached? Not that that should make a difference but I remember trying to install my new wheel houses and on side was a real bear

55 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

I looked up the part numbers in the parts catalog but of course the only have a different number for the ss emblem so I'm sure they are all thecsame size as the molding infront of the wheel well. Are you trying to fit the fender with the wheel houses attached? Not that that should make a difference but I remember trying to install my new wheel houses and on side was a real bear

I am but I’m not that far along yet. I noticed the molding after I lined up the top. Stopped and went to the other side. Now back to passenger side 

3 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Hang on I have to put it back on the car. Geeze. Lol. 

Quit screwing around....get to it!

Joe and I have come to the conclusion that all my holes are drilled 1/2 high. We are thinking this is a gm replacement fender not an oe fender and whoever drilled the holes was on crack. So Perfectly line up fender, mark for new holes, drill and take it to the painter again. Thanks Joe for the help deciphering my newest mess. Another delay. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Joe and I have come to the conclusion that all my holes are drilled 1/2 high. We are thinking this is a gm replacement fender not an oe fender and whoever drilled the holes was on crack. So Perfectly line up fender, mark for new holes, drill and take it to the painter again. Thanks Joe for the help deciphering my newest mess. Another delay. 

1/2 inch isn't to bad could be worse, you may be able to do that yourself without the delay of taking it out. but thats up to you.

8 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

...without the delay of taking it out. ...

It still may need a little paint work because the black part was painted to center with the upper molding. Lowering the top molding to the correct position will have the black paint line too high, not centered. I'm figuring the painter can probably correct it (patch the holes if absolutely necessary), and confine the paint work to below the lower body line. A little back mask, blend and good to go.

13 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Fender dropped off at the body shop today. I’ll get it back tomorrow. 

Great turnaround time from your body shop.  measure where the holes really should be and then measure two more times before drilling new holes for the clips.

rob

I have a friend coming down from Saginaw for thanksgiving and he loves lining up body panels (?) and he had me save all the window adjustments for him also. That dinner ain’t free. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1