Old big block Chevy

1971Stinger

After lurking here for a few months, I have (with the help from many here) taken many pictures, found a build sheet, purchased a window sticker for my 71 Monte Carlo, my plansĀ 

keep changing on what to do with it, originally I wanted to take every nut and bolt out and restore it original - BUT - it really starts and runs and drives to nice to take it apart...

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1519.JPG

• Like 4

Welcome!

With that low of miles I wouldnā€™t bother doing a full restoration. Just maintain it and clean it up as much as you can. You will get so much enjoyment out of it. If you have the budget you could get it painted and refresh some of the interior. Neither of mine are frame off restorations. Just cleaned up and painted. My 71 is also classic copper with sandalwood interior with 82,000 miles.

• Like 1

Great car! Like the others said, enjoy it. Do smaller projects. This way you can still enjoy her. Put the skirts back on. Even more unique. My 71 402 4speed is supposed to beĀ  classic copper, dark saddle interior and white vynal top. Very similar to yours. Love it!Ā 

Nice looking driver/survivor car and like others have said drive the wheels off and have fun. And yea start with the little things on your list first, then your only down for a day or a weekend, not weeks or ............................šŸ¤£

Thank you all for the great advice - this really is a great site with lots of excellent info, I think the 1st thing on my list is to get the A/C working, I know many of you are talking about putting these cars away for the winter but I'm in Texas where it's 76 degrees and sunny today (yes I took most of these pictures today-11/23/21) So I can keep driving it and fixing small things as I go.

IMG_1516.JPG

• Like 2

Yea Yea Yea, I've been to Dallas in December and it gets COLD !Ā šŸ¤£ My house was 75 inside this am, might have to turn the heat on by the weekend.

Looking at the pic's, are there even belts on the compressor? A small a/c job to me is recharging the system lol Ā 

• Like 1

Beautiful Monte.Ā  Being an Arizona car I doubt there is much rust-out involvement.Ā  I agree with others, do the needed repairs and drive her.Ā  You may be surprised at how much the paint will clean up.Ā  Keep the pictures coming.Ā  I also agree, if the skirts are available, install them.

rob

The A/C belt is off and sitting in the center of the spare tire, when I turn on the a/c it "clicks" like the clutch engages, so my best guess is that it will blow warm air and may just need the leak fixed and be recharged (lot of if's there)

I took off the rear skirts and the hardware (I really don't like the look of those) I have a set of rear wheel opening moldings that are going on - changing the subject - Do I have the original 402 air cleaner ?

IMG_1533.JPG

On the a/c, and assuming its not been upgraded to R-134, and its blowing warm air. You can go to wallymart or similar, get a R134 gauge and hose set and a can or 2 of R-134 and charge the system. You will also need an adapter for the original a/c fitting to accept the R134 fitting. There are many threads on the forum for doing a complete upgrade to R134 on original Montes.Ā 

I'm not a skirts look fan on the Monte either, but I appreciate those who have'm since they did come with'mĀ 

Plenty of knowledgable and helpful people on the forum here, even if you tend to modify your Monte for your personal taste lolĀ 

Welcome Neal!!!Ā  Ā  She is great looking!!!Ā  Ā I had just sold the same cobo but it was an SS. Wish it was as solid as yours. I love that color combo.Ā 

Agree with others use her the way she is, just clean her up and do little things at a time.

I like the skirts on some of our car, makes them look classier to me. But NOT on the SS's.

As far as the air cleaner i have to look for a post from Tom and Kevin where they put all 3 in a pic to help me with mine. They might chime in they are so much better on the comp than I, but i will check for you.

Congrats and Good Luck with her!!!