Parking Brake Switch

Mike C

Ok  I'm at the end if my rope. Anyone out in Monte Carlo land have a picture of where the parking brake switch on a 1970 MC is located/mounted. I've gone thru all the pictures taken during dismantling and can't find out where or how the switch is mounted.  Any help will get me back on track. 

Thanks 😊 Mike.

Hey Mike, 

Is your parking brake pedal assembly a replacement unit ?

For some reason, the units available from places like OPG and other vendors are re designed without the switch mount on them. (not a common part to get replaced ?) 

Your best bet for getting the correct one would more than likely be an auto wreckers, or maybe someone on here has an old one kicking around ?? 

Either way, hope you can get your wires mounted. 

Thanks Scott. I agree with you on the assembly. It was on the car when I got it. Everything in that area where it was mounted had a lot of rust and rot, whereas the assembly was in really great shape. So yeah it was most likely replaced at some point. It shouldn't be to hard to make an L shaped bracket to mount it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

That is for the brake pedal. For brake lights not for the parking brake indicator. 

Good catch there Tom.  You are right, the parking brake switch looks very much like that BUT the Parking Brake switch only has one connector.

rob

You may need this type of parking brake switch. It bolts to the top and actuates with the end of the ratchet mechanism. I see the holes on the top rail of your bracket that also suggests this is where the switch mounts. Not easy to find. There's a NOS one on ebay right now, $169. Look here, maybe a couple more options:

https://www.google.com/search?q=1972+chevelle+park+brake+switch&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwicheCA87z0AhUWgHIEHSb0A4MQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=1972+chevelle+park+brake+switch&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQDFAAWABgAGgAcAB4AIABAIgBAJIBAJgBAKoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1n&sclient=img&ei=_mykYZyOBZaAytMPpuiPmAg&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS888US888

https://www.chicagomusclecarparts.com/products/706472

67 chevelle parking brake light switch | Team Chevelle

PARK BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH ,USED, 67-72 CHEVELLE Monte – Chicago Muscle Car  Parts , Inc.

Thanks JFT69Z. Picture and links were very helpfull.  I didn't notice the holes by the ratcheting assembly.  Did a complete search of everywhere in the shop (I hadn't throw anything away during disassembly) and found the original switch.

Many thanks to all for the help.

20211129_102921.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike C said:

Thanks JFT69Z. Picture and links were very helpfull.  I didn't notice the holes by the ratcheting assembly.  Did a complete search of everywhere in the shop (I hadn't throw anything away during disassembly) and found the original switch.

You're welcome!

I went on the same search of my shop at the time I was re-assembling my car. Probably wasted an hour and a half, to the point I was searching online for another one. That's when I realized I better search a little harder, those things are hard to find out there.