Monte CARGO! Superhero Eradicator

If driving our Monte Carlos gives us Superhero status (makes us cool 😎) what takes it away?

What else are you driving?

For me, the differences are from one extreme to the other. The Monte has a loooong front end and tiny back end. My work Cargo van has NO front end and a long train behind it.

Lets see Greg Brady knock over an egg with either! 

Jeff

1970 MONTE SS454

2003 CARGO van  

Screenshot_20211202-213606_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211203-010748_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

What’s up with the ‘71 grill and hood(ornament/spear)?

Also… is the black & tan color combo original?

My daily driver is a super clean ‘08 P-71, retired from DHS. Gotta love the Feds… dumping cars at +/- 10 years old regardless of mileage. Picked her up in October of ‘18 with 8,600 miles and 22 idle hours - not even broken in.  Spare has never been on the car. And check out the protective plastic film still on the face of the radio.  Here’s ‘Vicky’…

721D1B1E-7619-4BD2-A5E5-90B8B6FCF035.jpeg

CC97298F-4589-4568-B826-268849605ECF.jpeg

F54FF7E6-D332-47E7-8F14-4099C3A5C671.jpeg

B92BF87C-4488-4BA0-B01D-C7A3175BD874.jpeg

84491E50-B527-47E3-9461-94E99E7C1C7A.jpeg

032AA5C4-85D6-48FD-858C-26793817456B.jpeg

07B8E1E0-863C-4066-BB3D-4484E7C6B7F7.jpeg

EBC9AF30-F000-4A4F-A3AF-704658B9B761.jpeg

8A0023AB-5C39-436E-B4E7-8672E940987F.jpeg

• Like 3

Those are getting hard to find in my neck of the woods. I "tuned " one for a friend, He couldn't believe that big of a car could smoke those radials!! '08 vic are very nice rides. His still had all the police stuff including the shot gun holder.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 420ponies said:

Those are getting hard to find in my neck of the woods. I "tuned " one for a friend, He couldn't believe that big of a car could smoke those radials!! '08 vic are very nice rides. His still had all the police stuff including the shot gun holder.

This was a supervisors car, and it had very little law enforcement equipment on it. There are no extra toggle switches or buttons on the dashboard and everything works as it should, which is sometimes in issue with these cars when they’re decommissioned. 

I was so happy with how clean this car was, I actually had a buddy who owns a body shop fix the four holes in the roof where the light bar was mounted as well as the one hole in the decklid where the antenna was. 

And since it was a supervisors car it originally came with the SAP (Street Appearance Package):  Chrome grill, chrome trim on the tail light housings and across the back panel, which was also painted white. It looked a little too “grandpa” for my tastes, so I treated it to the honeycomb grill, new tail light housings and black rear panel. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Theres a Crown Vic car club around these parts.. Been told you can get a good deal on a sergeants or upper rank LEO car very low mileage and good condition. 

If you’re looking for one in good shape, try to get one before they’re all gone… 2011 was the last year they made them. And stay away from any canine vehicles… they run all day long, and the idle hours clocked are off the charts. Ford’s Fleet Vehicle info for the Crown Vic’s shows every idle hour is the equivalent of 33 driven miles for maintenance reasons. I have driven cars at work which had over 12,000 idle hours and 180K on the odometer.   CPD runs our cars into the ground. 

Great looking car, good find on that one. I've had 2 grand marquis that were Great cars had about 180k on them when I got rid of them.  We are trying to sell my mom's 06 grand marquis now ( we had to take it away from her) my brother has it listed for 5 grand and no body is biting on it. It's really a nice car I drove it to Maine a few months ago other than some cosmetic dings from moms driving the last few months and some paint peeling off.  I thought about taking it just to save gas and mileage on my truck but would probably cost me more in the long run.

Glen, You are correct sir!

The interior is original but car was painted black. I originally had plans to switch interior over to black, but I'm actually digging this color combo!

My grille preference is 1971, and also a 71 hood spear. 

I kept the 70 grille and everything can easily change back if I ever grew tired of it (unlikely)

I also added the tail light grilles trunk emblem and original upper hockey sticks, etc to appear as a 1971 from the back.

The interior is all 1970. 

Jeff 1970-71 SS454

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

🤔 sounds like you should have purchased a 71 SS then. Lololol

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

🤔 sounds like you should have purchased a 71 SS then. Lololol

Ya true! But then I'd need to find a 1970 interior for my 71 🤷‍♂️

*Btw, in 1987 my Monte #2 was a 71 SS with a 70 interior and  a 70 grille, lol

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Glen said:

This was a supervisors car, and it had very little law enforcement equipment on it. There are no extra toggle switches or buttons on the dashboard and everything works as it should, which is sometimes in issue with these cars when they’re decommissioned. 

I was so happy with how clean this car was, I actually had a buddy who owns a body shop fix the four holes in the roof where the light bar was mounted as well as the one hole in the decklid where the antenna was. 

And since it was a supervisors car it originally came with the SAP (Street Appearance Package):  Chrome grill, chrome trim on the tail light housings and across the back panel, which was also painted white. It looked a little too “grandpa” for my tastes, so I treated it to the honeycomb grill, new tail light housings and black rear panel. 

When I worked for the State a friend of mine was a dispatcher and picked up a sweet all black "unmarked" Vic, which had no light bar on the roof. Since he was a certified radio guy (sorry don't know the proper terminology) he was able to keep all the radios and antennas installed. Very clean car, and he drove it everywhere even on vacation. 

Thanks for sharing  your ride 

3 hours ago, DragCat said:

When I worked for the State a friend of mine was a dispatcher and picked up a sweet all black "unmarked" Vic, which had no light bar on the roof. Since he was a certified radio guy (sorry don't know the proper terminology) he was able to keep all the radios and antennas installed. Very clean car, and he drove it everywhere even on vacation. 

Thanks for spring your ride 

It’s a great road car. Very comfortable to drive long distances at a time. 19 gallon tank and averages 25-27 mpg at 75-80 mph. Everything is overbuilt on these cars, so they’re super reliable.  Firmer suspension, heavy duty brakes, trans cooler, oil cooler, oversized radiator,  200 amp alternator, Watts linkage rear suspension, a 3.27 Trac-Loc diff, aluminum driveshaft… and the list goes on.  Oh!  She has a YYYUUUUGGGHEEE trunk, too.  

Great daily driver, too, if you don’t mind feeding the V8. I’ve got a separate set of winter tires that’ll be going back on when my next days off roll around in a week. She’ll last forever with routine maintenance. 

10 hours ago, smokinquack said:

My other "cool" vehicle is a 2006 Dodge Power Wagon, one of about 1600 produced that year. My daily driver? a 91 S-10.  In rust we trust.

20211206_103313.jpg

20211206_102945.jpg

20211206_103128.jpg

Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?  🤣😂