Spearless Monte hood 1969 GM Press Photo

What's missing?

Here is a press release photo of the NEW 1970 Monte Carlo from GM and ran in the Evening paper on Aug.25, 1969.

Whats missing?
The hood spear!

Did GM finalize their decision late in the game to add the spear to the assembly line? Or did they think no watchful eyes would scour these photos some 50 years later and see they perhaps used an older pre-production photo?

I'm hoping someone here can share their knowledge or has other 1970 press photos showing the hood (spear, or no spear?)

I also see the lack of chrome trim under the headlights;  were they installed on all 70 Montes, or simply an option?

"SPEAR-MONT" wasn't that a flavor of chewing gum?☝️🙄

Jeff
1970 Monte SS454

Monte SPEARLESS HOOD Dec 3 21.jpg

• Like 2

I have been scouring the web for another shot of the 70 hood,  but they all have spears.

You guys are right...Agreed, a Pre-production Monte.

Too bad, I was hoping there was yet another unsung rarity to watch for; "The Spearless Hood!" (NOT!)

😂🤣

Jeff

• Haha 1

Aha, so there are some without any hood spear / ornamentation.

Even though this is a 71  I wonder if that's the way it left the factory?

Could a person order with a plain hood?

STANGEBA?  You being an original owner since 71, did you have that option?

41 minutes ago, Rare SS said:

Aha, so there are some without any hood spear / ornamentation.

Even though this is a 71  I wonder if that's the way it left the factory?

Could a person order with a plain hood?

STANGEBA?  You being an original owner since 71, did you have that option?

Previous owner said it was removed, not sure why I assume maybe it broke. I've never really liked them.

When I first bought my Monte I purchased, on ebay, a copy of that Monte picture and attached to it was a type written sheet of what should be printed in the ad.  It is in my car in my storage shed so I can't look at it right now but I suspect the ad was meant for either a magazine or newspaper.

rob

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

When I first bought my Monte I purchased, on ebay, a copy of that Monte picture and attached to it was a type written sheet of what should be printed in the ad.  It is in my car in my storage shed so I can't look at it right now but I suspect the ad was meant for either a magazine or newspaper.

rob

You are correct Rob, Thius black and White photo was a newspaper ad. I have since found the color version (Car is dark green).

1 hour ago, Brent C said:

Looks like it is missing the chrome trim beneath the head lights too.

Yes, I had questioned that as well in my first remarks;

"I also see the lack of chrome trim under the headlights;  were they installed on all 70 Montes, or simply an option?"

• Like 1

Not all 70 Monte Carlos received the under headlight chrome trim. Same as not all 70 Chevelles received the under headlight chrome trim either. It was not an option. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rare SS said:

Yes, I had questioned that as well in my first remarks;

"I also see the lack of chrome trim under the headlights;  were they installed on all 70 Montes, or simply an option?"

the trim was not optional. It was standard equipment in 1970 until the factory ran out of it. This page answers that question https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/differences/

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 714024SPEED said:

The car in the picture also has the Halo top .Not all 70 Montes got that either i think?

I believe you're correct! The 70 has the halo, 71 and 72 was right to the windshield 

The top trim is of the halo design, even if it extends completely to the windshield. The first design that you see on alot of '70 models is known as full halo top trim. The change was made before production ended for '70 and is what's known as is the halo top trim.

Dan

• Like 1

Dan is correct.  That is the difference in "Halo" and "Full Halo".  Regarding it ending before the production for the 70 ending that is not entirely true.  The end of the "Full Halo" would have depended upon which plant the 70 Monte was built in.  My 70 was built in the Baltimore plant very near the end of the switch over to the 71 being built with a build date on mine being the third week in June 1970 and mine has the "Full Halo".  Mine also has the under the head light trim.

rob

• Like 2

Jeff, what ever you do, DON'T start asking about how to run windshield washer hoses! 🤣

• Haha 2