Driver door mirror mount question

drdave69

I am very new to the board and Monte Carlos. I noticed that my driver door mirror was a little loose so I removed it. The mirror screw broke while backing it out so I ordered a new bracket kit. The new bracket is not the same length as the bracket on the car. The mounting holes on the door are 2" (3" total length) apart and the current bracket holes have been elongated to fit that. The new bracket mounting holes are 1-5/8" apart (2-5/8 total length). Also, since the current bracket is longer than the new it fits into the mirror base correctly. My main question is if someone can measure their door mounting hole width to see if it matches mine (2")?

First off welcome !!! First gen Monte's could have come with several different mirrors.there was the standard mirror ,chrome remote,or sport mirror in 71/72 If you can post a picture of what you have it would help.

• Like 1

I'll try to get around to photos this week. I'm fairly sure the mirror is a repro standard mirror. Upon thinking of this a little more I believe the new bracket may be what is needed to tighten the mirror down. The existing bracket fills the entire gap of the mirror bottom. That doesn't allow the screw to pull the mirror against the other end stop point. My only concern is the bracket mount holes. The new bracket is 1-5/8" apart but the holes in the door are 2" apart. I'll need to measure to see if I can drill the new bracket to fit the door.

Thanks for the photo and measurement. It looks like that bracket has a mounting hole added on the right end. It appears that the mounting holes on the door are the same as mine (although I measured 2 inches). Did you by chance measure the overall length of the bracket?

Thanks again Kevin. It looks like your bracket is the same length as the new bracket I ordered with an extra hole drilled for the 2" spread of the mounting holes. I'll monkey with it again soon.

I finally tacked this yesterday. I grabbed the new, shorter bracket and drilled a hole in it to make the spacing 2" apart. I did this after thinking about how the mirror mounts. The longer bracket wasn't allowing the mirror to tighten against the angled stop point on the other end. The shorter bracket would allow room to be pulled against the angled stop point. Got it installed and everything is tight. Here is a photo of the 2 brackets (before I drilled the short one) and the bottom of the mirror base.

Monte Carlo mirror brackets.jpg