UGH 2021

Dtret

Woke up to the first measurable snow in Cincinnati. Dusting to 1/2 inch. No problem. Extra hour to get to work, accidents everywhere. What do they teach people in drivers ed?  I need to invent a moron meter and then program it to lock them out of the car. Again with the UGH. 

29DEBE2D-E791-4DE7-A5AE-443A9750B925.jpeg

A guy who doesn’t know how to drive in the white stuff hit my parked truck yesterday. He didn’t have snow tires either. The hit moved my truck over 3 ft and it isn’t drivable. The steering is locked up. After exchanging info he gets to drive away and I’m left dealing with trying to find a shop that can repair it before February.

19DCFBFB-4FB0-4F9D-B57C-979126170DDC.jpeg

• Sad 5

The nice part of retirement is I don't have to go out in that stuff.  We really haven't had any measurable snow here in Pittsburgh this year but have had a couple dustings.  

Aaron, I am sorry to hear that your GMC got hit.  You say he did not have snow tires on his vehicle..  did he at least have all season tires.  I have not used snow tires in years but even before I retired and had a company car and getting called out at all hours of the night I still had All Season tires on my company vehicles.

rob

6 hours ago, Canuck said:

A guy who doesn’t know how to drive in the white stuff hit my parked truck yesterday. He didn’t have snow tires either. The hit moved my truck over 3 ft and it isn’t drivable. The steering is locked up. After exchanging info he gets to drive away and I’m left dealing with trying to find a shop that can repair it before February.

19DCFBFB-4FB0-4F9D-B57C-979126170DDC.jpeg

That sucks, hopefully you have rental on your policy your company will go after the other guys for repayment.  Good luck on it. As much snow as we get here people are still not used to it and crash even with a light snow. We had a couple 3 inches over night and life goes on. Of course I didn't have to go out anywhere today.

27 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Aaron, I am sorry to hear that your GMC got hit.  You say he did not have snow tires on his vehicle..  did he at least have all season tires.  I have not used snow tires in years but even before I retired and had a company car and getting called out at all hours of the night I still had All Season tires on my company vehicles.

rob

Here it is the law to have snow tires or carry chains on certain highways. This road likely doesn't fall under that law but is still unsafe with the tires he has. He had M&S tires on his car. He proved why those tires are not good enough along with driving too fast for the conditions.

Sorry to hear that Aaron. Unfortunately Stupid doesn't only come out when it snows. Years ago I was rear ended at a red light, asshat was arguing with the sheriff he shouldn't get a ticket because it was raining. Luckily I was in a full size Bronco back then so he took most of the damage. I almost cracked a smile when the sheriff told the bonehead, "enough sir, you ran into a vehicle stopped at a red light, sign here". 

Speaking of stupid. The girl told the cop that she thought she could make the left turn and beat traffic. He told her she didn’t. It was funny. Of course pregnant with one in the car seat. Luckily she did have insurance. So I got a check for 2200 bucks and went to the local pull and pay. 450 bucks later my truck was back together. I cheated and got black panels. I wanted pre faded parts that matched. This was last year on my 20 year old truck. Her Focus didn’t fare so well. Everyone was ok. Sorry the pictures didn’t post in order

21 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Yea we know that's not gonna last very long 😒

It's already gone bad, lol. It's 46 now & 70 mph gusts of wind. Neighbor lost dozens of shingles so far & my 'Christmas' tree is taking a nap, 🤣

The shovel was there earlier, so after I took a nap, I wondered if it would still be there. Apparently the tree is breaking the wind so the shovel didn't blow away. 

20211211_161749.jpg

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

It's already gone bad, lol. It's 46 now & 70 mph gusts of wind. Neighbor lost dozens of shingles so far & my 'Christmas' tree is taking a nap, 🤣

The shovel was there earlier, so after I took a nap, I wondered if it would still be there. Apparently the tree is breaking the wind so the shovel didn't blow away. 

20211211_161749.jpg

Don’t you mean future Christmas tree. Lol. That sux. More donkey work. Good thing that the shovel is handy. By the way, why is the shovel there? How ironic. Things that make you go hmmm 🤔 

15 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Don’t you mean future Christmas tree. Lol. That sux. More donkey work. Good thing that the shovel is handy. By the way, why is the shovel there? How ironic. Things that make you go hmmm 🤔 

That tree has a date with a chain saw real soon, lol.

The shovel was on the side of the house from the little bit of snow we had recently. The wind moved it earlier today to where it presently is located. I just didn't feel like picking it up earlier (working nights, a little sick from the booster shot, plus all day at animal hospital yesterday for one of the dogs). Instead, I got to pick up every piece of garbage in the stuffed full recycle & garbage cans that were re-deposited all over my yard and drainage ditch. Plus picked up a couple of pieces of vinyl siding I need to re-attach tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Ok all bs aside. What’s wrong with the pup? I hope the pup is ok. The rest don’t matter. We will get to that later. 

She threw up something the other night when I was at work. Before Sue could grab it, stupido ate it again. Later in the day she gets diarrhea, then throws up her food, etc. Took her to emergency hospital at 8 AM after working all night, turns out they don't have very much in the way of diagnostic equipment, but the other Em. Hospital in the area was full & wasn't taking patients. Didn't know that at the time about lack of equipment. Anyways, I ended up in Rochester, 80 miles away because they have the equipment & accepting patients. (endoscopes and ultrasound equipment).

My concern was the first place just wanted to cut her open for exploratory surgery if she didn't get better, or pass whatever she may have eaten. Screw that...obviously didn't sit well with me if there are other, less invasive options. So, she stayed in Rochester last night, still bloody stool, no vomit, subsequent x-rays don't show anything obstructing. They will see tomorrow if the fluids & meds they're giving her help, and if she wants to eat (and keep it down). If nothing is better, they'll do an ultrasound, etc. The Doc today was really confident though she'll be just fine, and hopefully there's good news tomorrow.

• Like 3

Hopefully she's fine, I had to take mine to Cornell for surgery she was there for 2 weeks and about $4200.00 later she came home. Luckily she was able to walk again. She's gone now but she was my buddy I still miss her.😔 our dogs are truly part of the family. 

Thanks Steve. Cornell was also mentioned too, if Rochester couldn't take her in. $4200 sounds good compared what the first place wanted for 2 days, and maybe $4-6K more if they did the exploratory surgery. In my case, I never had kids so the dogs are definitely part of the family. I still miss the ones that are gone, each one was special in their own way. Sorry for your loss 😢.

39 minutes ago, willie said:

Good Luck with the pup Joe. Hope it all works out.  Sometimes you can tell them a million times and they are still going to eat stuff they shouldn't.

Thanks Willie. Yeah, she has a habit of eating stuff like paper, etc. Latest trick is seeing what's on the kitchen table...paper, stuff from my pockets from work, etc. Looks like I'll have to start booby trapping it to deter her, lol.

8 hours ago, jft69z said:

Thanks Steve. Cornell was also mentioned too, if Rochester couldn't take her in. $4200 sounds good compared what the first place wanted for 2 days, and maybe $4-6K more if they did the exploratory surgery. In my case, I never had kids so the dogs are definitely part of the family. I still miss the ones that are gone, each one was special in their own way. Sorry for your loss 😢.

Yea that 4200 was about 10 years ago so I could see it being that high. We love our pers though.

• Like 1

Just got home with her, she seems to be her normal self for the most part, little tired from the stuff they gave her for the car ride (she gets car sick). They gave me some meds and some food, said to monitor her for vomiting, etc.

Total at this place was $1800 for the 2 days, plus all the other meds & tests, etc. Way better than the ER in Buffalo, just a long ride. I'd do it again in a second if need be though... Thanks for all the well wishes 🙂

Back in 'her' chair:

20211212_133817.jpg

• Like 6