Lurkers first post

msapia

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a few months now, but this is my first post.  I've found a lot of valuable information here!  Thanks for that!  Anyway, My name is Mike Sapia, and I live in the Texas panhandle.  My dad taught me how to drive in his 71 MC, and I've been in love with them since.  Unfortunately Dad sold his before I got my license, but I was finally able to get one of my own back in April.  She is a survivor car!  All original except for the obvious, and I also got the build sheet with her.  She is just a base model with 350 2bbl/TH350.  She has a couple of upgrades such as tilt steering, remote mirror, and premium hubcaps.  She's not perfect, of course.  She has a few little rust issues, and needs paint (still has original paint), but a very straight car!

Anyway, thanks for letting me join the forums and hang out.  If there is anyone here in my area, feel free to reach out!  I have the only first gen around here that I know of!

71mc.jpg

71mc2.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome Mike! Looks like a great looking car to start to make yours! When you say upgrades, do you mean factory options or someone added them? 

I only ask because the P02 hubcap option requires a 15x7 rim. All other hubcap options came on the standard 15x6 rim. 

Good luck with her! Looking forward to see your progress. 

Welcome Mike!  Looks like a very solid car… congrats on the acquisition!   I share your pain… I’ve had the only First Gen at the 3 shows that I attended this summer. I look at it as being in an “elite” demographic 🤣😂

16 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Welcome Mike! Looks like a great looking car to start to make yours! When you say upgrades, do you mean factory options or someone added them? 

I only ask because the P02 hubcap option requires a 15x7 rim. All other hubcap options came on the standard 15x6 rim. 

Good luck with her! Looking forward to see your progress. 

Hi MC1of80!  I'm referring to factory upgrades.  There aren't many.  Just a few.  I forgot to mention tinted glass as well.  Everything else is pretty basic.  Bench seat, manual windows and door locks, AM radio, no cruise control.

15 hours ago, Glen said:

Welcome Mike!  Looks like a very solid car… congrats on the acquisition!   I share your pain… I’ve had the only First Gen at the 3 shows that I attended this summer. I look at it as being in an “elite” demographic 🤣😂

Exactly Glen!  And on of the reasons for a first gen.  Everyone has a Camaro, Chevelle, or Mustang!  Not man of us around!

13 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

:W That is a nice looking car you have there now its time to make it your own, good luck with it enjoy!

Haha!  Thanks!  I have been driving her all summer because I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do with her and where to start!  I'm in no hurry since I can drive her now!  I ordered wheels and tires ysterday, so I guess that's where I'll start!

• Like 1

Welcome to the club and forums, Mike!  Looks like you have a great starting point of years of personalization and enjoyment. 

One nice thing about a lower optioned first gen Monte is that you can enjoy several projects that add "factory" upgrades and still have an original car (albeit not matching your original Build Sheet).  I spent several years after buying my low-optioned '70 4-speed car just adding factory options like power steering (it's not standard), power windows, power door locks and a full gauge dash conversion, all of which increased the pleasure of daily driving. 

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but rebuilding/refreshing the front suspension is very doable, as is adding the RPO F41 anti-sway bar and boxed control arms to the rear. Swapping in a four barrel carb and manifold should be a nice "original" upgrade, also. 

I like the original appearance on first gens but am happy to add functional upgrades even if not original factory options.  Keyless door and trunk entry, power seat back releases, LED dash lights and tail lights and rear air bags are non-original upgrades I use and enjoy every outing and they don't affect the original appearance of my '70.

So, I think lower optioned models are just more opportunity for enjoyable projects and personalizing your Monte to your own preferences.  Enjoy!

14 hours ago, Stamminator said:

Welcome fellow Texan!  Mike, I'm right down the road in Decatur so I hope to get together with the "girls" someday soon.  Jeff.

Hi Jeff!  I'm in Levelland - just west of Lubbock a few miles.  If you're ever in the area, give me a shout!  I'll do the same!