what rag joint for grand Cherokee steering box upgrade

mymontesa70

Pretty sure this goes here.

As the tittle says ive got a GC steering box and im wondering if anyone with previous experience with this swap knows the part number of the rag joint they used or what it was from. Ive heard 80s trucks like a suburban works well. thanks in advance

I did this swap, much nicer than the original mush box that the general installed. I used a Dorman 31011 rag joint. I think these are from late 70 through mid 80 chevy trucks. Don't forget that you have to adapt the hoses to the metric o-ring fittings in the box, one is 16mm and one is 18mm or adapt/change the pump to metric hoses. There are some drop in adapters that allow you to use the standard hoses, be advised that the metric threads in the box are only close enough and not exact. I used some hydraulic hose adapters that I bought at NAPA, not sure of the part number though, also could adapt to AN fittings. Everything else bolts on. Be advised that some people will tell you that the WS6 box or an IROC box is the same but they have different internal stops inside that will cut down your turning radius, not so good in parking lots.

I also added Chassis works AFX spindles standard height with BMR control arms and sway bar. Very nice set up.

Team Chevelle www.chevelles.com has this swap covered.

Have fun

rotin

I did the same with my '70 as well.

The rag joint # is correct, got it from Auto Value.

As for the hoses, because I added a cooler to my system, I went with brass double ended compression fittings. made the pipework a lot simpler.

I can send you photos if you like.

The one thing I did find though, and I'm not sure if it's happened to anyone else doing this change, is that the groove it the steering shaft wasn't deep enough for the bolt on the clamp to pass through. I wound up using a smaller size bolt and locking nut to get the job done.

Awesome appreciate the help. I’m doing a 5.3 swap which prompted the steering box swap. Should make hoses that much easier. I’ll probably do a hydro boost from an Astro and rebuild the front end since everything is so accessible right now

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I’ve got my proper 31011 rag joint now and I’ve got my Cherokee steering box. The splines and flat space look a little off to me. Wanted to check here before I hammer it home. Anybody recall what there’s looked like. I’ll attach a couple pictures that hopefully get the job done. 

thanks in advance838FE144-6887-4835-9D3E-92EC98F5CF64.thumb.jpeg.08cc59e47bc67471710bc02d7eae4d3a.jpeg26E8810D-FEC2-4480-8AAB-DED66517A8AB.thumb.jpeg.0cdb45b8e452c0e189d957bf70b81737.jpeg

Mine went right on no problems. I do think I used the original bolt though. You will be amazed at how much better the steering feels in your car. Next thing you will want to do something about the steering geometry, the upgrade that I did is also light years ahead of the original set up. I need to figure out a cheap way of adapting my 1Le rotors to my new spindles. I used to have "B" body Cadillac spindle that have integral caliper brackets for the bigger brakes the AFX spindles use the bolt on bracket and I haven't found anyone making a bigger brake bracket for the standard type caliper. When it stops being winter here (got a foot of snow last night) I hope to do the same to the rear end, but other than age the stock geometry isn't terrible, except mine has the air ride (SS car) so a decision has to be made about the rear shocks. I will probably go with a disc conversion in the rear while I am at it.

rotin