Bigger sway bars vs. heavier springs.....

Scott S.

Mine just has the stock one on the front and none on the back. I got one for the rear with boxed control arms but haven't gotten around to putting them on. Everyone says they make a big difference I'll find out sooner or later. How are your shocks they can make a difference too?

The results vary on what you want to do. Stiffer springs equal stiffer ride. Bigger front and rear sway bars, less body roll on turns. Stiffer springs and bigger sway bars, well stiff better handling ride. Shocks enhance all options. 

Then, what about tires to take advantage of the suspension modifications? Snowball !

Hard to say what will solve your body roll problem best, Scott, but you have several options including new springs, shocks, anti-sway bars and air bags or combos of these. 

I have had good success with a combination of rear bars and air shocks/bags.  I used Moog 5379 and Monroe air shocks on my '70 SS and the stock BM rear coil with Air Lift 1000 air bags on my '70 4-speed.  Both had rear anti-sway bars.  Others have used Moog CC501 cargo coils successfully.

If air shocks or air bags (i.e. Air Lift 1000) are terminated individually with Schrader valves, you can adjust the pressure differently side to side if necessary.  You can also adjust ride quality and rear end height better with air than with fixed height/rate springs. Good luck.

Not as big and heavy as one might think, though...... I've been driving A/G body G.M.'s since before I had a license. ;)

I know she'll probably never match the '86 T-Type I used to have, but it does seriously lean out of the corner under acceleration.

I've already poly'd most of the suspension, ( rear coils, links, and sway bar bushings.) and she already has boxed control arms in the back. But no rear sway bar..... yet.

The front shocks are fairly new Gabriels, not sure of which model, and the rear air shocks work, although I get varying opinions as to min/max pressures. 

As for the tires, they're B.F.'s, but have a lot of years, Not so much miles.) on them, so I'm thinking they're probably a weak point as well.... 

What I've been pondering is if the addition of poly spacers in the front springs might be a good place to start. 

Pretty much all the front end was replaced just before I bought her, and I did add an updated steering box a couple years ago. Made a nice difference. :)

Just wondering what's worked for you guys without going to far down the $$$ trail.

Thanks. 

1  1/4"-1  3/8" dia. front sway bar ,1 1/4" rear sway bar.  Air shocks should have a mineable of 25psi. to work.Also, you will definitely take away sway from tubular a-arms in the front. Your GM A-body will really perform after the upgrades.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Edited by 420ponies
added content
  • Like 2

Now that's an engine I'd like to see under my hood !!!

I had an L-88 all lined up for a '77 Silverado short box I had in the '80's, but an altercation with a power pole ended that fantasy all to quickly. :(

Probably for the best........

Thanks for the info on air shocks. Would you go with tubular or solid bars ???