Column shifter rebuild

Gideonjbowles

So I have a 1971 Monte Carlo and I am in the process of restoring it. I am having an issue finding out how to fit the shifter back into the column, the pin broke off and now I can’t get the knob in far enough to put the new pin in, anyone know how to solve this? Thank you,

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile since I have been inside a column with a shifter. There is a detent with a spring that keeps the shifter from working without pulling it towards the driver If this got disengaged when the pin broke the only real solution is to tear down the column and reassemble it where you have access to the spring, might be able to jack it around but not really worth it. The service information is in either the chassis service manual, overhaul manual or the fisher manual, can't remember which. Gm had at least 2 different chassis manuals back then the light service stuff like tune ups etc. (service manual) and the heavy service stuff like transmission rebuilds (overhaul manual). Not a bad excuse for buying a set of manuals for your car, they are not expensive and a great source for specific repair information. Might use this as an excuse to buy the wheel puller and the lock plate tool and if it is a tilt car the tilt dog tool. This work can be done in the car but I prefer to do it on the bench.

rotin

I looked last night and the column information is in the 1971 Chassis Service Manual. Not a great write up of putting the shifter back in though, basically says to install the shifter and pivot back. Not really even a good breakdown of it but does show the spring. Might try a parts book for a good illustration and other year/makes of service manuals. I'm at the wrong house or I could look in my collection of Olds and Cadillac manuals that I accumulated during my time as Mr. Goodwrench.

rotin