70 Monte in Kansas $17K (SS454???)

Another member saw this Kansas Monte on Craigslist.  Not sure if it is a true SS but if it is an "always lived in Kansas" car it may be pretty rust free.

https://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/d/wichita-1970-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-454/7418593052.html

rob

Great looking '70 SS but something seems wrong here.  Either it's not actually an SS or there is something seriously wrong with the car (that can't be known by the single photo). Maybe the owner just has no clue of the current market?  I would think anyone who represents his car as a true SS and knows the relative rarity of that model would also know the current market value.

I bought my '70 SS in Wichita ten years ago and paid more than this asking price for it.  I thought I got a reasonable deal and it didn't have rear disc brakes and cool wheels and tires, either.  If it is legit, that is one heck of a deal!  My son-in-law still lives in Wichita and might be able to help check it out if anyone is interested.

I sent an email to the person who listed it. I figured if he responds I will post the information here for others.  I agree it sounds like too good of a deal to be true.  I asked for pictures of the trunk, engine compartment, interior and undercarriage.  They have not responded.  He claims a true SS with the engine and tranny numbers matching but does not actually mention that the engine and tranny actually match the VIN.  Why would someone list such a car with only 1 picture and very little description.

rob

Seller lists the color as “silver”, but it sure looks like something much more desirable.  Can you say “Shadow Gray”? 

Yeah, I’m prejudiced … get over it. 🤣😂

I also just emailed him asking for more information… I’ll trade notes with you here Rob… if/when he gets back to me. 

He got back to me with some pictures… The block appears to be authentic, although I couldn’t compare the numbers on it to the vin tag he provided as that was a crappy picture. 

The air ride hardware appears present, minus the compressor. I did not have the time to decode the numbers on other parts he provided. 

He did not respond to my questions about having the build sheet or POP.  He also sent a separate email that read “I am having needed work done next week so no.use contacting me until next Friday”

Here’s the pictures he sent:

78584A32-ED17-4F83-983C-92EC7C830BE6.jpeg

F2A5BBF2-A5DD-43EF-B373-F4849B63F89E.jpeg

8C1A08A9-9E8A-4AB2-8E66-6DAC7C4400C5.jpeg

7A647614-8B2E-4346-A9AF-B9768AD8041E.jpeg

DE64B355-F21D-413A-A6E9-0C289C1036BD.jpeg

35FB22B0-ABA0-4B24-BB65-A2B9DBD2AE62.jpeg

51412008-A6AD-4A3A-816B-2FDAF7B843EF.jpeg

F10131F0-C8C7-4491-A3FE-78F07C0DAC6B.jpeg

C0E26263-AF1A-49BC-BFA8-A138D316FABB.jpeg

F4A8461E-10FB-4924-B676-8FE33803F131.jpeg

644497CD-15EB-457B-8F5E-4C0C71CC9C2E.jpeg

According to the trim tag it was a two tone car with an Autum Gold body and Classic White roof.  Looks like the interior was changed to blue with bench seat and was originally 774 - Gold Riano interior with Cloth Bench Seat.  It looks like it was a Baltimore  plant from the trim tag but wish the VIN was clear enough to verify the assembly plant.

rob

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

According to the trim tag it was a two tone car with an Autum Gold body and Classic White roof.  Looks like the interior was changed to blue with bench seat and was originally 774 - Gold Riano interior with Cloth Bench Seat.  It looks like it was a Baltimore  plant from the trim tag but wish the VIN was clear enough to verify the assembly plant.

rob

And the 3rd week of February build date jives with the 29 January engine date. I’ll shoot him an email at the end of the week and press him again for more documentation and additional pictures to try to authenticate. 

I find it odd (and I have seen it before) that people list cars on CL while work is going on. I found a Monte on CL years ago and contacted the guy to arrange a test drive, he said call me next week I'm doing brakes this weekend. Long story short, back and forth for 3 weeks and still couldn't see the car 🤪

Anyway, shame he hacked the dash with aftermarket gauges, for some reason it seems to have an aftermarket a/c unit, and don't know if he's running electric fans or lack of fan and shroud is part of work going on. 

Oh well, time will tell. 

The VIN I see is 138570B151332 but it is difficult to read. The partial on the engine block shows 10B1513.. with the last 2 numbers either not stamped well or possibly filled in with paint. The block is CRN with a date code consistent with the car build. Looks pretty good to me. If I was buying it I'd be interested in seeing the transmission tag and partial vin too.

7 minutes ago, Canuck said:

The VIN I see is 138570B151332 but it is difficult to read. The partial on the engine block shows 10B1513.. with the last 2 numbers either not stamped well or possibly filled in with paint. The block is CRN with a date code consistent with the car build. Looks pretty good to me. If I was buying it I'd be interested in seeing the transmission tag and partial vin too.

That VIN you interpreted looks correct.