Factory Single to dual exhaust?

Crom Cruach

350 4bbl with a fairly rotted single exhaust, the tail pipes anyway. Will a dual system fit my car? Can I just remove the catalytic converter completely without negatively affecting performance? Would anyone have a list of all parts of the system from headers to brackets that I could customize? Thanks

FF60053B-93FD-4540-97AF-0A5B33B3279B.thumb.jpeg.35bce6873d5dab7f5abe348568171cef.jpeg

B14AF761-9160-45E7-95DC-986284EB6E65.thumb.jpeg.b18590436667d2bfb2f47126efc67ee1.jpeg

You can remove the cat, but where you are at can you do it legally?  It won’t hurt performance. Yes you can put dual exhaust on.The parts list will depend on the type of headers you have and what type of sound you want. You may try to look for a local muffler shop that can custom make exhaust. Shipping exhaust from the states( even though it is probably made in China) may make it cost prohibitive. Wait a minute, why would that have a cat?  

• Like 1

Dennis makes some good points, what are your local requirements when you register your car. Ive heard some stories even on this side of the pond, for example even if the cat doesn't work they still want to see it installed. A local shop would probably be your best bet, and save you on all the shipping from the states, unless they are ordering parts from the states. 

If you go with headers do your research, some need to be "adjusted/manipulated" to fit and you may have to replace your starter with a mini starter. There are many threads in the forums about headers, will give you good feedback on what others have done and the experience of getting them to fit. 

I agree, no Cat on first Gen's.  I also agree finding a local shop may be your best bet for a custom system due to shipping costs.  

rob

They didn't start putting converters on in the US until 1975 model year. Even in NY there's no emissions test after 25 years. Check you local requirements as far as emissions. Do you see a converter in the system.  Single to dual conversion is fairly straight forward. Same exhaust manifolds on single as dual if you want to stay with manifolds. If you switch to headers then you have to think about pipes from headers to mufflers.

9 minutes ago, Leghome said:

Did these cars not have a muffler and a resonator 

Seems like I read somewhere only big block cars had resonators. I’m sure someone who knows will chime in.

I recommend checking with a local antique car dealer in your area  ,if there are any, and ask where the best shop is for fabricating exhaust on old cars. A good exhaust man will even measure from the dual tips to the bumper to make sure it is correct and looks right.