AC Expansion Valve Bulb placement ....

Mike Brichta

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know where the expansion valve bulb should be placed on the suction tube on cars with AC?

I am reading that it should be between 6 and 9 O'clock on the suction tube when facing the car from the front.  I want to confirm before I install it.

I seem to recall seeing them more around the 12 to 3 O'clock position.

Thanks!!
Mike

Hi Mike,

When I redid my AC a couple years ago I placed my bulb in the exact place my old one had been.  It may be hard to tell from these pictures I took right after I finished but you may be able to tell it was somewhere around 12:30 to 1:00 position.

Mine is a 350 June 1970 (3rd week) build in the Baltimore Plant if that makes any difference.   You may notice I may have put a little too much of the black goop around it.

rob

Monte Motor 1.jpgMonte Motor 3.jpgMonte Motor 2.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Rob, 

Thanks for your reply and pictures. I agree with you on the placement. I seem to remember them being on the inside around the 2 O'clock position.  Nice pics, by the way.

Thanks!!

Mike

Mike,

I just noticed I could not enlarge them from the pictures I placed here on the site.  If you would like, I will email them so you can maybe enlarge them easier.

rob