Random engine bay questions for 1970 MC

jja

(1) I need any help (pictures preferably) of what stickers are accurate for the radiator panel cover, and where on that top panel they should be affixed?

(2) I am trying to find an upper radiator hose strap (GM 3981017) but no luck. I found an earlier thread that mentioned Carl might have a few. No luck in contacting him. Anyone else have a picture of what the original one looks like? 

(3) I had my small (?) block original 350 engine rebuilt last year and the one piece of the engine that was not reaffixed is the following (see picture). I'm not sure I can figure out where it goes. Does not seem to be a spark plug harness. Maybe a battery cable holder? Anyone know what it is for and which bolt it should be attached to?

IMG_2961.jpg

Took a picture of an old (broken) and replacement strap for my 71 from about 11 years ago.

If I recall correctly, a female member of the FGMCC from Ohio I think, who had an perfect black 71 SS, sold a bunch of them to the group.

I believe it was a bit shorter (I have a 71 350 4BBL No A/C) but did work.

Sadly, that perfect 71 SS was destroyed in a garage fire. So sad.

IMG_0604.JPG

1 minute ago, stangeba said:

Took a picture of an old (broken) and replacement strap for my 71 from about 11 years ago.

If I recall correctly, a female member of the FGMCC from Ohio I think, who had an perfect black 71 SS, sold a bunch of them to the group.

I believe it was a bit shorter (I have a 71 350 4BBL No A/C) but did work.

Sadly, that perfect 71 SS was destroyed in a garage fire. So sad.

IMG_0604.JPG

That would have been Capri who you are talking about.  I did not think it was Capri who had them but I will contact her to see if it was her or if she knows who it was.  I do remember there was a member who had acquired some and was selling them and I purchased one at the time for my car.  .

rob

I have sent Capri a PM here on the boards so even though she doesn't get here onto the boards much she will get an email notification and I included a link to this post so she won't have to search long and hard for it.

rob

I’m thinking your part is the transmission line bracket. Passenger side on the oil pan. But it doesn’t look like it’s all there. Or you could be correct in it being the positive cable holder. Passenger side oil I believe 2nd or 3rd hole. But I’m not 100 percent sure. 

So...I went thru my Monte Binder.  It appears we purchased 2 of these straps from Classic Muscle back in June 2008.  Part # 3999780 which does coincide with the original post from way back that Carl was also a part of.

I do not show that I ordered a bunch of them - just a quantity of 2.

Greg has no memory - but for all we know we could have come across them later at a swap meet or something and passed them on.

I dunno, makes me sad looking at this binder...someday Queen will rise from the ashes....I hold onto the hope.

Miss everyone!!!

Radiator cover decal placement: Cooling decal on the left and Emissions decal on the right.

Decal placement for the small radiator

9591CA89-5588-41CD-8E75-81F32104AB4D.jpeg

Decal placement for the more common larger radiator. Note that this is a 1971 and the engine emissions decal is larger than the 1970 decal but the location is the same.

96FDB214-7902-4BC6-A47E-2162B370DC5D.jpeg

• Like 3

I use to find the plastic clamps in the junk yard on chevy trucks. I had a bunch that i pulled off 

but gave the last one to a guy here for his 72 custom. it seems that I found them on late 70's or 

early 80's trucks had them.

Jay and Jenny

There was a member giving out those upper radiator hose straps at a couple of the Western Meets. Not sure if he still has some but I’ll contact him.

Hey Aaron, 

Thanks for the pictures you have of your engine bays. I have the car with a radiator cover that has four bolts in the front instead of the one with 3 bolts. In that setup, I have the decal that goes on the passenger side, but no the one on the driver's side. Was your car originally Canadian built ? Mine in California and we are notorious for air pollution control devices and notices. I can't remember if the decal on the driver's side looked like that, but if it looks car generic (regardless of country/state), I look for it online. 

Any luck with those upper radiator hose straps would be appreciated. Sounds like I'm not the only one.  

On 1/5/2022 at 12:56 PM, jja said:

(1) I need any help (pictures preferably) of what stickers are accurate for the radiator panel cover, and where on that top panel they should be affixed?

(2) I am trying to find an upper radiator hose strap (GM 3981017) but no luck. I found an earlier thread that mentioned Carl might have a few. No luck in contacting him. Anyone else have a picture of what the original one looks like? 

(3) I had my small (?) block original 350 engine rebuilt last year and the one piece of the engine that was not reaffixed is the following (see picture). I'm not sure I can figure out where it goes. Does not seem to be a spark plug harness. Maybe a battery cable holder? Anyone know what it is for and which bolt it should be attached to?

IMG_2961.jpg

1 hour ago, jja said:

Hey Aaron, 

Thanks for the pictures you have of your engine bays. I have the car with a radiator cover that has four bolts in the front instead of the one with 3 bolts. In that setup, I have the decal that goes on the passenger side, but no the one on the driver's side. Was your car originally Canadian built ? Mine in California and we are notorious for air pollution control devices and notices. I can't remember if the decal on the driver's side looked like that, but if it looks car generic (regardless of country/state), I look for it online. 

The emissions decal on the driver's side was on all Monte Carlos. Both of mine were built in Baltimore. I had a Van Nuys built 72 and it had both decals.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, Dtret said:

I’m thinking your part is the transmission line bracket. Passenger side on the oil pan. But it doesn’t look like it’s all there. Or you could be correct in it being the positive cable holder. Passenger side oil I believe 2nd or 3rd hole. But I’m not 100 percent sure. 

It looks more like the positive cable holder. If it's rubber insulated. 

The transmission cooler line holder is taller and narrower, to stack them one on top of the other, and has a return bend to keep them in place.