Date of first registration vs purchase date

I need to put down the date of first registration of my ‘72 to finalize the import paperwork. It was purchased on September 2, 1971, and the protect-O-plate shows the ‘reassignment’ date as September 9. I can’t find any information on the license plate - 8C0467. So is it normal for a ‘72 model car to be registered in ‘71?

91C33D48-6BAB-44C3-AECC-576E844BAE9E.thumb.jpeg.da6f65cd05f5cdb2530ee64a15189227.jpeg

Yes my 70 I ordered new in 1969 was built in Van Nuys Calif. and I picked it up in November and had it titled at that time. So that is a very legitmate time line. My 72 was built the 4th week of April 1972 and titled May 30 1972, Golden Brown with a Light Covert Vinyl top Saddle vinyl interior bench seat.

Many of the auto makers here in the USA release the next production year in September so yes the 72 model year was released in September of 1971.

rob

12 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Were the protect-o-plates done by the dealership? I thought that they were. 

Dennis, the metal portion of the protecto plate came from the factory with the car and then the dealer produced the plastic portion.

rob

8 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Dennis, the metal portion of the protecto plate came from the factory with the car and then the dealer produced the plastic portion.

rob

Thanks. I was unsure. I new the dealership did something but didn’t know what. 

My 71 van Nuys car was built in May 71 and delivered to long Beach CA. Was originally registered in June or July of 71. I can't find the original registration right now but for some reason I'm thinking June. It didn't have far to go from being built to being sold so I guess it's about right. I found an original registration under the seat or carpet when I did interior. Couldn't read the whole think but got partial information from it. The lady that originally bought it I assume is long gone, definitely not at same address any more I found that on the internet. Original dealer is still open but has no records from back then, I called them about 10 years ago when I found build sheet.