I Have a Couple Interior Questions

1970mcss

I started taking the interior out over the weekend to replace the carpet. I can't believe some of the things I found. Missing hardware that holds the console to the floor, miss matched screws and so on. I got most of the old floor insulation scraped off the floor and am happy to say the floors are in great shape. There is a bit of the old insulation that covers the rear speaker harness that seems to be glued down pretty well so my first question is can I leave it there or should I heat it up or scrape it off?? The second question is did our cars come with the deluxe package shelf (Mesh) or were they all just colored cardboard? Third question is what is the best way to clean the seat belts? I'm sure I will have some more in the future. Thanks

I typically like to clean off all the old insulation and sound deadening the best I can and start fresh for the new product. If it is really stubborn and a scraper would not pull it up then I left it.

The Monte Carlo had the coloured cardboard package trays. None had the mesh when new. If you have speakers or the rear defogger you will need to cut holes for those and insert your original grills.

• Like 2

Arron, I agree with trying to remove it all but I'm afraid to cut or damage the harness. I didn't know if I hit it with a torch if it would melt the wires. I'll give the chisel another shot. I didn't think the package shelf came in the mesh so not sure that I will change it. Thanks

I'm indifferent on the insulation holding the wires, I can't see how bad it is but my druthers would be to clean it as best I can. As for the seat belts I use a power washer just don't get to close up or use one with enough pressure to water jet cut.

rotin

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

From what I understand Trim Parts (who owns PUI) has purchased most of the interior manufacturers. So it’s almost a guessing game on what product you will get. I’m not sure about Legendary.