Trailer hitch.

I can probably provide the item number if you need it. Also, they build them when you order it so allow about 6-8 weeks. That is how long mine took. 

UHI36900CH is the item number 

I ordered it on 6-21 and it shipped on 8-13

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello Bruce, I believe it was mentioned before to avoid the original bumper-hitch.  Not so much if your load is light as much as protecting the rear of the car from a collision.  I have one more time off the frame and I plan on boxing in the frame (kits available from OPG) and tucking a custom receiver hitch behind the bumper.  My motorcycle days are done, planning on using the Monte as chase vehicle with repair trailer on group trips.

• Like 1

Hello Bruce, I believe it was mentioned before to avoid the original bumper-hitch.  Not so much if your load is light as much as protecting the rear of the car from a collision.  I have one more time off the frame and I plan on boxing in the frame (kits available from OPG) and tucking a custom receiver hitch behind the bumper.  My motorcycle days are done, planning on using the Monte as chase vehicle with repair trailer on group trips.

Brad,

I pulled a 73 Artic Cat snowmobile a dozen times or so and a 1963 TR-3B to get painted one time.

I was always scared to pull anything with it.

24 minutes ago, Stuckin70s said:

Now that's what I would call a fantastic head turning chase vehicle !

That will get as much attention as does the motorcycles  !!

Boxing in the frame is a smart idea as well.

On 1/17/2022 at 1:07 PM, cbolt said:

I can probably provide the item number if you need it. Also, they build them when you order it so allow about 6-8 weeks. That is how long mine took. 

UHI36900CH is the item number 

I ordered it on 6-21 and it shipped on 8-13

Bookmarked, thanks! 👍

• Like 1

Used the three existing frame holes on each frame rail. The key was making a cardboard template for the panels first, the rest was simple.  The main bar is extremely thick and gusseted to the fish plates… The frame was the weakest link, but it's stronger now with the added steel plates.…. The tolerances are tight but the hitch can be removed in about 5 minutes …..  I like the way it looks and fits.. It's symmetrical to my exhaust tips and painted with the same ceramic paint I used on my exhaust manifolds… Even though the main crossbar is gusseted , I plan to put another, but smaller crossbar back towards the fuel tank and connect them with two 1/4" steel straps for added safety. 

Best of all , It's tucked away and blends with the car. ….  No holes in the trunk floor…. No new holes in the frame…..  No connection to the bumper and room for fuel door…

No shiny paint or free advertisement for UHaul… 

sIMG_2582.thumb.jpeg.6dcab1ca92169dcc6bd1dc62be792f25.jpeg

IMG_2338.JPG.4a45cf858872e3314d596c37a5253f7e.JPG

IMG_2405.thumb.jpeg.5401e5c91ab754f88a098106923de04e.jpeg1536223079_IMG_237622.thumb.jpeg.d1c981bca74b64db09f29fe7184b239f.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 1:29 PM, stangeba said:

Brad,

I pulled a 73 Artic Cat snowmobile a dozen times or so and a 1963 TR-3B to get painted one time.

I was always scared to pull anything with it.

Why did pulling with it make you uncomfortable? 

I was never uncomfortable towing my little utility trailer with my Monte but it probably didn't weigh 1000 pounds. One year at the Syracuse nationals I had the car parked in front of my 30 foot camper and a guy stopped to look at the car and while walking around it stopped and asked if I towed the trailer with this car? Lol I said no way no that wouldn't work.but I don't think I'd want to tow a lot with it.

• Like 1

I thought it may damage the bumper or worse like breaking off the hitch and totaling the car and what ever I was pulling.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

1968-72_Chevelle_Trailer_Hitch-UHaul.pdf

I'm resurrecting this thread a bit since it's something I want / need to do in the near future.  The UHaul-manufactured hitch (see below and attached) is viable and interesting, as @cbolt has shown us.  The UHaul site (use Chevelle, not Monte Carlo) lists the Class 3 Hitch assembly for $274.95, and 4,000lb-rated.  I think I would trust @EVC's approach if I did something similar myself (mechanical engineer with CAD / FEA and a machine / welding shop available to me), but I'm not sure it's worth my time given that I could buy my way out of the problem for $300!!  I would only be towing a small trailer or camper.  Put it on the list of things to do!

image.thumb.jpeg.0d2def6ec77285bea652689f2822084d.jpeghe Class 2 Hitch

• Like 3

If you’re interested?  I cut a Reese type hitch off the 70 I’m scrapping. Should take a two inch receiver. It still has the frame attached so you know how it was welded on. I can dig it out and get pictures if needed. 

• Like 1

@Dtret, I doubt the shipping cost from Ohio to Connecticut would make it worth it.  But maybe another member near you could use it.  Is it a version that goes all the way across and between the sub-frame?

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

@Dtret, I doubt the shipping cost from Ohio to Connecticut would make it worth it.  But maybe another member near you could use it.  Is it a version that goes all the way across and between the sub-frame?

I’ll be perfectly honest, I never really looked at it that closely, aren’t you going to Carlisle?

• Like 1

Dennis that is not the one i have. yours is more heavier duty. Brendan if you are going to Carlisle you can grab it there.  If not other arrangements can be made...

23 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

That is a class 3 hitch that was modified to fit that frame.

I didn’t do it. Heck it’s still on the frame. lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2