Coolant Overflow Bottle

gdubya

I know this topic has come up in the past but can someone clarify if a 1970 SS came from the factory with a coolant overflow bottle/reservoir?  I have seen so many different variations from none (as seen on the Fifer restoration), one mounted to the fender, to one mounted to the under fender well.  Also, if it came from the factory with one does anyone have a picture of the OEM style. I know any parts store has a universal one but I am not interested in those. 

Thanks in advance

Gerry 

If, by chance you're looking to put one in anyways, look for one from a mid-70's Nova. It tucks right inside the fender near the battery, looks like it was supposed to be there. They're readily available from most of the usual suppliers. The cap is a separate item that usually needs to be ordered as well.

20220114_122815.jpg

• Like 5

I took the hose from the windshield washer reservoir and installed it to the radiator for the overflow tank. 

Washer pump doesn't work at the moment and was the quickest thing to do at the track. Lolol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to everyone who replied. My gut was telling me they didn’t have one. I had a rather original 71 as a kid and clearly remember just the tube hanging down. Thanks again. 

50 minutes ago, willie said:

Hey Joe, where did you get that overflow?   I checked parts place under nova and they didn't have it.

Sorry for the late reply, worked all night. The bottles Dennis & Dan showed is the one I got. Not sure if I got it from Summit or not. The corresponding cap you'll need is part number OER 371978. It's available from a variety of places, all with different prices and shipping costs. Here is Summit's option:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-371978

Funny part about the "shampoo bottle" is that it actually has a mounting basket fastened to the radiator support. Kind of like a water bottle holder for a bike. 

The previous owner thought that one out. lol

21 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

I took the hose from the windshield washer reservoir and installed it to the radiator for the overflow tank. 

Washer pump doesn't work at the moment and was the quickest thing to do at the track. Lolol

Who's racing in the rain anyways ??? lol

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, SPLATT71MC said:

3rd gen F-body coolant bottle works well too. It sits really nice on the forward side of the passenger inner fender.

Co-sign on the 3rd gen Camaro coolant bottle. Thats what I used and it fits on the inner fender quite well.

6 hours ago, McCall72 said:

Co-sign on the 3rd gen Camaro coolant bottle. Thats what I used and it fits on the inner fender quite well.

Any pictures of it installed?