Coolant Overflow Bottle

gdubya

I have the Nova bottle mounted. One thing I am not a fan of is just one mounting hole. It looks good sitting, but I took it for a spin yesterday and was getting on it a bit. I may  have too much coolant in the bottle, because it leaked out the cap just a bit. Not much, just a few drops. I noticed the coolant on the fender well underneath it. So I took the bottle and rotated it and sure enough, coolant leaking a bit from the cap. Yes it has the non vented cap and it was tight. I am thinking just sucking out some coolant will fix that problem. However, not a fan of it pivoting that easy. Is there a way to lock it in place? I am thinking of tightening the heck out of the nut to pinch it to the fender tighter, but don't want to crack the plastic. I have a body mount bolt, washer, then the fender, washer, bottle tab, washer, and nut. Not sure if wrenching it tighter would do any good or adding something else to the set up.

16 minutes ago, MI_Custumz said:

... because it leaked out the cap just a bit. Not much, just a few drops. 

Check to see if there's a gasket in the cap. If not, just cut a thin piece of rubber/gasket material to slip in the cap. 

40 minutes ago, MI_Custumz said:

Thanks. I thought it had one, I will double check.

The aftermarket caps don't seem to have a gasket, the original one I got from a scrapyard decades ago for my Z/28 had a thin rubber insert.

Then non vented one had a rubber disc type gasket. I pulled that out and put in the round paper-ish one that was in the vented one I had laying around. Seems to not leak with that one. I also drained out a bit of coolant so it won't splash up as far. Not sure if it's the gasket swap, lower coolant level, or a combination. I did not drive it with the new gasket, but did rotate it up to try to get coolant to leak out.