quadrajet 7040200

sendo

so my car has a holley carb on it, was thinking of getting what it supposed to have on it a quadrajet 7040200(i think) so my question is.

1. is this the right carb for my 1970 monte carlo ss

2. what should the date code be on the carb when my car was built in sept/69

3. has anyone done business with  quadrajet power

4.is it worth it?

holley.jpg

holley2.jpg

My 70 SS has an aftermarket intake and carb, but I have the original one ready to go if I ever decide to put her back to stock. 

It’s a Carter (built for Rochester) but it is the same part number.  Protect-O-Plate reflects a ‘C’ denoting it as correct original equipment on my January 1970 Van Nuys built car. And yes, it’s the right carb for our cars. 

BE9060D0-AE0C-435A-8D63-1396066137F6.png

9DE0C3AE-7FD3-45E7-8F82-438F4E8E3110.png

1 hour ago, sendo said:

what should the date code be? and is this just plug and play? think my manifold is stock, what about the choke?

thanks, sorry for all the questions

My earlier post for carburetor number was incorrect. My number is 7040203. 70 is prefix code, 4 is year (1970 to 75), 0 is year (1970), 2 is model (Quadrajet 4BBL), 0 is division (0,1,2,) Chevrolet division, 3 is transmission, odd #s manual transmission, even #s automatic transmission. Here is picture of carb# and date code J9 September 1969. DB is a Broadcast (customer) code.

F276D7A7-E519-4F3D-ACC1-BC96740D3C0A.jpeg

14 minutes ago, John S said:

My earlier post for carburetor number was incorrect. My number is 7040203. 70 is prefix code, 4 is year (1970 to 75), 0 is year (1970), 2 is model (Quadrajet 4BBL), 0 is division (0,1,2,) Chevrolet division, 3 is transmission, odd #s manual transmission, even #s automatic transmission. Here is picture of carb# and date code J9 September 1969. DB is a Broadcast (customer) code.

F276D7A7-E519-4F3D-ACC1-BC96740D3C0A.jpeg

so your carb date is sept 1969 what is your car built date?

58 minutes ago, sendo said:

so your carb date is sept 1969 what is your car built date?

Third week of November 1969. The carburetor is not the original carburetor for the car, it is however, close enough for me to date correct, and code correct. The carburetor came off of a 1970 Chevelle with a 350 and 4 speed. The carburetor on the car when I bought it was Rochester Quadra jet from a 1969 truck, I still have it. I try not to be too fussy about that stuff I simply got lucky when I found the carburetor.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John S said:

Third week of November 1969. The carburetor is not the original carburetor for the car, it is however, close enough for me to date correct, and code correct. The carburetor came off of a 1970 Chevelle with a 350 and 4 speed. The carburetor on the car when I bought it was Rochester Quadra jet from a 1969 truck, I still have it. I try not to be too fussy about that stuff I simply got lucky when I found the carburetor.

so my car being Sept 69 a carb dated July 69 should be okay?

19 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

When was the engine built? That's the date code you need to be in the  6 month range. The engine then within 6 months of the car being assembled. 

Engine code T1106CNJ Tonawanda November 6

2 hours ago, John S said:

Engine code T1106CNJ Tonawanda November 6

is this the number in the front of the engine? mines was machined off, i found these in the back

is there anywhere else to look?

block.jpg

block2.jpg

intake.jpg

10 minutes ago, sendo said:

is this the number in the front of the engine? mines was machined off, i found these in the back

is there anywhere else to look?

block.jpg

block2.jpg

I think on a big block there is a partial Vin number stamped by the oil filter I could be wrong I’m sure some knowledgeable big block guys would know for sure.

When your 454 was rebuilt the surface was "decked"  and the original vin and engine code were removed. A 512 block, the last 3 in the block part number, would have been used in 1970 for a 454.

You can look for the head(s) casting date and part number under the valvecovers. Also the intake casting date if you feel they are original to the car.