New ‘72 Monte

After 20 years of Military service in the Air Force, I retire in a couple of weeks and my wife bought me my dream car—1972 Monte Carlo…this car needs some work, just had the vinyl top put on, waiting to receive car from Florida, any ideas or recommendations for improvement (new chrome grill, badging etc.) would be great!!

https://www.survivor-cars.com/vehicles/411/1972-chevrolet-monte-carlo#

A4ED67AB-166F-4F2B-AA7F-E70455B8530A.jpeg

• Like 5

Nice Monte Richard.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged member of the club, you could even try to come to our Eastern Meet in Carlisle Pa in June.

Regarding the grill, you should be able to find one if you want  but the one on it may be able to be restored.  It looks like the hood spear is a 70 hood spear which is also available if you want to go with a 72.  The badging should be available too.  Looks like a small block with 10-bolt rear.  Make a list of what you need and post here on the boards.

rob

12 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

:W looks like a very nice car, nice color combo. Thank you for your service my girlfriends son is in now, gonna retire in a couple years. He's at Hill afb now.

Thanks for the support, Hill AFB is a nice base!! 

Good for you, nice looking car. Looks like the wife is a keeper too!

What did you do in the USAF?

4 minutes ago, MrDavie said:

Thanks for the support, Hill AFB is a nice base!! 

It looks like a nice base, we went out there a year and a half ago he took up to the base to see an F35 training it was amazing. We were pretty close to the runway it was very loud lol. 

11 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Nice Monte Richard.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged member of the club, you could even try to come to our Eastern Meet in Carlisle Pa in June.

Regarding the grill, you should be able to find one if you want  but the one on it may be able to be restored.  It looks like the hood spear is a 70 hood spear which is also available if you want to go with a 72.  The badging should be available too.  Looks like a small block with 10-bolt rear.  Make a list of what you need and post here on the boards.

rob

Thank you for the warm welcome!! This is my first experience with a classic car, so I am doing all the research I can. I look forward to being a member of the club.

Are you saying I can purchase a “70 hood spear” and it will fit on my 72? Also, I looked for badging but was hesitant to purchase because I don’t know if the holes on the vinyl are marked for the “Monte Carlo” on each side (had the seller put on the vinyl top) Additionally, I wanted the “Monte Carlo by Chevrolet” for the rear. How is this installed on the vehicle? Found this on eBay:

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks,

EF43B0D0-8A88-4743-9270-FEE3CE43E870.png

7 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Good for you, nice looking car. Looks like the wife is a keeper too!

What did you do in the USAF?

She’s def a keeper!! I was Security Forces, Intel, and Administration…

12 minutes ago, MrDavie said:

She’s def a keeper!! I was Security Forces, Intel, and Administration…

Interesting jobs, I like it! I was a PMEL tech, (calibration of electronic & physical/dimensional test equipment).

As far as the badging, the rear of a '72 does NOT have the 'by Chevrolet' emblem. Just a 'Monte Carlo' on the right side, attached to the '72 only aluminum trim piece below the trunk lid. As far as the sail panel holes, make sure to get 'M/C' emblems specifically for the 70-72 sail panel, as there are a few different sized emblems out there. 

33 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Interesting jobs, I like it! I was a PMEL tech, (calibration of electronic & physical/dimensional test equipment).

As far as the badging, the rear of a '72 does NOT have the 'by Chevrolet' emblem. Just a 'Monte Carlo' on the right side, attached to the '72 only aluminum trim piece below the trunk lid. As far as the sail panel holes, make sure to get 'M/C' emblems specifically for the 70-72 sail panel, as there are a few different sized emblems out there. 

Got it, so do you know where I can find the Monte Carlo for the aluminum trim below the trunk lid? How does it attach? How do the sail  panel emblems attach to the vinyl? I get the car in a couple of weeks, I hope the holes were labeled when they attached the vinyl.  Do you know where to find the sail panel emblems?

My best friend was PMEL!!

1 minute ago, MrDavie said:

Got it, so do you know where I can find the Monte Carlo for the aluminum trim below the trunk lid? How does it attach? How do the sail  panel emblems attach to the vinyl? I get the car in a couple of weeks, I hope the holes were labeled when they attached the vinyl.  Do you know where to find the sail panel emblems?

My best friend was PMEL!!

The 'Parts Place' is where I think I got the sail panel emblems for my car. They usually attach with barrel nuts that fit into the sheet metal itself & the emblem 'pops' in. You may have to remove the interior sail panel trim to look and see what's in there from the back side, plus that'll let you know if the holes are already there, or if someone filled them up.

The rear panel M/C is physically attached to the trim, with the posts peened over. To replace it, you have to carefully drill the head off the back side. Do you have any pics of the back of the car? I'm wondering what's back there & if you should maybe wait until you get the car, before spending money on parts you may not need.

I had my rear aluminum trim re-anodized a couple of years ago (not cheap) and they re-chromed the M/C emblem at the time. Those aren't readily available, but I did find a NOS (New Old Stock - GM) one on ebay at the time, plus I think I ordered another one from someplace that was a close fit if I needed it. The thought at the time was to just replace it vs. paying to have my original chromed (cost to re-chrome vs. new one). In the end, he did the emblem for free due to delays, so I have the others in stock if you really need one.

2 minutes ago, jft69z said:

The 'Parts Place' is where I think I got the sail panel emblems for my car. They usually attach with barrel nuts that fit into the sheet metal itself & the emblem 'pops' in. You may have to remove the interior sail panel trim to look and see what's in there from the back side, plus that'll let you know if the holes are already there, or if someone filled them up.

The rear panel M/C is physically attached to the trim, with the posts peened over. To replace it, you have to carefully drill the head off the back side. Do you have any pics of the back of the car? I'm wondering what's back there & if you should maybe wait until you get the car, before spending money on parts you may not need.

I had my rear aluminum trim re-anodized a couple of years ago (not cheap) and they re-chromed the M/C emblem at the time. Those aren't readily available, but I did find a NOS (New Old Stock - GM) one on ebay at the time, plus I think I ordered another one from someplace that was a close fit if I needed it. The thought at the time was to just replace it vs. paying to have my original chromed (cost to re-chrome vs. new one). In the end, he did the emblem for free due to delays, so I have the others in stock if you really need one.

Understood, thx for the detailed response and assistance.  I’ll wait until the car arrives (shipping from FL). Here is the link to the car (only change is I added the vinyl top):

On 1/18/2022 at 10:22 AM, MrDavie said:

Understood, thx for the detailed response and assistance.  I’ll wait until the car arrives (shipping from FL). Here is the link to the car (only change is I added the vinyl top):

That's right, I did see those pics. In that case, you have a few options I guess in regards to the rear panel. Leave it as is & get a M/C emblem like you initially though. Being a '72, I doubt I'd put the 'by Chevrolet' emblem on there, it wasn't there on that year. Or, you could tear a fistful of $100 bills in half and get the actual '72 trim piece (3 pieces actually). They show up on ebay occasionally, and a couple of the forum vendors here have them available, sometimes already restored (you'd have to call them to check availability).

The only problem would be attaching them to the car. They're very specific metal & plastic clips and fasteners that aren't reproduced. Nothing to date that I've been able to cross match that would work either. To me though, that trim piece is an integral part of a 72 (I've had 3 of them, maybe I'm a little biased, lol).

When the time gets closer, I'll dig thru my paperwork and get you some links to specific parts. In the mean time, here are a few places I've had good luck with in regards to parts. The Parts Place, SS396 (Ground UP), Summit, Year One (occasionally), Leo Konik (forum vendor), & Jared Richey (member). Other members will chime in with what works for them.

OPGI seems like a good idea at first, until you realize they screw you on shipping, long delivery times and forever back ordered parts. I have gotten parts from them, not my first choice. Usually the last...well besides 'Inline Tube' now. Poor customer service, though they sometimes are the only supplier for very specific parts.

1st and foremost, Thank you for your service!! 2nd, Welcome to the FGMCC!!    Best Damn $25 you'll ever spend. Ex - Marine here,  Marine son just got out last year. Nice MONTE!  It's pretty nice under that hood. Any questions about what to do next will be answered here. We like to spend other peoples money! Again, welcome to the club.   

post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

That's right, I did see those pics. In that case, you have a few options I guess in regards to the rear panel. Leave it as is & get a M/C emblem like you initially though. Being a '72, I doubt I'd put the 'by Chevrolet' emblem on there, it wasn't there on that year. Or, you could tear a fistful of $100 bills in half and get the actual '72 trim piece (3 pieces actually). They show up on ebay occasionally, and a couple of the forum vendors here have them available, sometimes already restored (you'd have to call them to check availability).

The only problem would be attaching them to the car. They're very specific metal & plastic clips and fasteners that aren't reproduced. Nothing to date that I've been able to cross match that would work either. To me though, that trim piece is an integral part of a 72 (I've had 3 of them, maybe I'm a little biased, lol).

When the time gets closer, I'll dig thru my paperwork and get you some links to specific parts. In the mean time, here are a few places I've had good luck with in regards to parts. The Parts Place, SS396 (Ground UP), Summit, Year One (occasionally), Leo Konik (forum vendor), & Jared Ritchie (member). Other members will chime in with what works for them.

OPGI seems like a good idea at first, until you realize they screw you on shipping, long delivery times and forever back ordered parts. I have gotten parts from them, not my first choice. Usually the last...well besides 'Inline Tube' now. Poor customer service, though they sometimes are the only supplier for very specific parts.

Thanks!! I’ll “inspect” the car when it arrives and get back to you. Last question, for the Trunk Bezel, how is this installed? Through the sheet medal as well??

38603515-A042-4F2F-80D4-9A2267878430.png

1 hour ago, MrDavie said:

Last question, for the Trunk Bezel, how is this installed? Through the sheet medal as well??

Yes, there should be a few holes in the trunk lid for the bezel.

Team,

5 hours ago, MrDavie said:

Thanks!! I’ll “inspect” the car when it arrives and get back to you. Last question, for the Trunk Bezel, how is this installed? Through the sheet medal as well??

38603515-A042-4F2F-80D4-9A2267878430.pngTo alleviate having to purchase the 3-part option, what are your thoughts about getting the “sticker” in the interim until I can get this done? And if there aren’t any holes for the sail panel emblems, shoulD I just take to an auto paint and body for install? What are the exact measurements for exactly where the sail panel emblems go?

B47A1926-F826-47D9-AB0A-162B25AAAF91.png