Column to floor shifter wire questions

Monster Carlo

I’m putting in my new tilt column after doing the floor shifter swap and I have a wiring issue.  The original steering column has an extra plug harness and 2 plugs that that the new one dose not. After metering them I’m assuming that the purple wires are the neutral safety and green and pink are reverse lights but wanted to check on the proper way to connect them to the new shifter. Thanks for your help.

F9E721AC-E106-4D7D-8BCD-0B28630BCA99.jpeg

862E5F8E-DB23-45A9-A93F-8E1B93C2A0F0.jpeg

69790493-FF6E-4E80-832D-D335B5CADD00.jpeg

If that's a  B&M Quick Silver shifter, it should have switches for the NSS & reverse lights. You'll have to extend the wires to the console area. My car originally had one from the prior owner & they hooked them up there. Hated that thing, first thing on the list to go. Factory console cars use the switches on the shifter as well, with the wires already run to that area.

Unless there's a back drive rod that goes from the transmission linkage to rotate those switches on the steering column, that's the only way to get those to work properly.

Adding to what was already posted you can order the console harness AND the extension harness. It will get you from the wires that go on the column to the shifter but you will still need to put a nss in the shifter. If it has one you’re probably going to have to adapt the wiring. If you order them harnesses I believe they also have wiring for lighting. I think the easiest is exactly what both Tom and Joe said. Nss on the column and the column lock rod. 

25 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I think the easiest is exactly what both Tom and Joe said. Nss on the column and the column lock rod. 

In my case, there wasn't a factory back drive rod going to the transmission. Possibly eliminated due to the B&M shifter linkage arrangement, not sure. In that case, the shifter switches were the only option for the stuff to work. 

When I re-wired the car, I did it in the shifter area as it should have been anyways (factory console). I think it's probably a better location, as it eliminated any slop in the back drive rod to the column. Better chance of getting it adjusted more accurately for the reverse and NSS positions right at the shifter.

2 minutes ago, jft69z said:

In my case, there wasn't a factory back drive rod going to the transmission. Possibly eliminated due to the B&M shifter linkage arrangement, not sure. In that case, the shifter switches were the only option for the stuff to work. 

That’s what happens when “ day 2” parts are added and all the original parts get pitched. That’s why we have eBay, etc. lol. 

19 hours ago, Dtret said:

That’s what happens when “ day 2” parts are added and all the original parts get pitched. That’s why we have eBay, etc. lol. 

I was lucky, Jared Richey brought one up to the 2020 Carlisle meet for me 🙂.

EDIT: Actually, I think my car did have the linkage intact but I had to cut & modify it to work with the 4L85E. I wanted one to keep in stock in the unlikely event I ever went back to the T-400, that's the one Jared brought me.

6 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I was lucky, Jared Ritchey brought one up to the 2020 Carlisle meet for me 🙂.

EDIT: Actually, I think my car did have the linkage intact but I had to cut & modify it to work with the 4L85E. I wanted one to keep in stock in the unlikely event I ever went back to the T-400, that's the one Jared brought me.

Definitely unlikely. That would be about as unlikely as you parking your plow truck and grabbing a shovel to do the driveway. lol 😂 

Just now, Dtret said:

Definitely unlikely. That would be about as unlikely as you parking your plow truck and grabbing a shovel to do the driveway. lol 😂 

I did a bunch of it with the snowblower yesterday too, and some shovel work. Needed the snowblower to get to the truck in the other building, lol.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the quicksilver shifter does have switches for Nss and rev. So on the reverse switch would one of the wires be a feed wire and the other be going to the reverse  light? If this is the case do you know what color (green or pink) is the one for the lights? I don’t have the engine bay wiring in place to be able to meter it.

And on the Nss they are 10 gauge wire, the one from the quick silver switch is 12 gauge, Does it really pull that many amps that it needs 10 gauge or will the 12 gauge be fine to power whatever it powers.

out of work with Covid so I’m using the time to redo the front end. Got to make it beautiful so the Chevelle people will except me at the car shows lol

C11FA393-4D0D-40C3-AE82-68C161AE90A2.jpeg

81122FDD-2440-4138-8FB4-502F9DDD82D5.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Monster Carlo said:

So on the reverse switch would one of the wires be a feed wire and the other be going to the reverse  light? If this is the case do you know what color (green or pink) is the one for the lights? 

And on the Nss they are 10 gauge wire, the one from the quick silver switch is 12 gauge, 

For the reverse switch, it doesn't really matter what wire (green or pink) goes to either terminal on the switch, it's just passing power thru the switch. But for informational purposes, the pink is the feed & green goes back to the reverse lamps.

For the NSS wiring, the factory print shows the two purple wires going to it as being 12 gauge, both for V6 & V8 Chevelles and Monte Carlos so I don't see a problem there either. Same goes for manual trans cars, but the 12 gauge wires pass thru the clutch safety switch instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monster Carlo said:

Thank you jft69z!!! Don’t know what I would do without this forum. 🙂

You're welcome, good luck!