NK4 steering wheel - horn help

When I thread on the retaining nut the horn just stays on the whole time. There’s a plastic piece (photo attached) I’m not sure if it’s a spacer between the spring plate and the cup, or is it just packaging? Can anyone clear up where in the assembly it fits?

also, should there be a washer behind the main retaining nut?

181E711D-EE9B-4CCD-AB36-F50F507E554F.thumb.jpeg.75aa3770ea931442d6518c004c55556a.jpeg

I checked the parts catalog and didn't see a diagram. If i was guessing it looks like in the wheel there is a groove that it should sit in. Just a guess. I will see if I can find something in the assembly manual

Paul, the horn stays on when you tighten the steering wheel nut? Not installing the horn button? How do you have the cup for the horn button, the concave metal spacer and the nylon isolator indexed? (Stacked) 

Sometimes the issue is there. Must be correct. 

I should have taken photos but I had to hustle for the school run! I have the spring clip (black circle) down on the column plate first, convex side up. Then the cup with the red spacers inside it, screwed to the column. So I guess the assembly is pushing the horn button down constantly. 

i assume either the spring clip needs to be convex side down, or the plastic spacer should sit somewhere to hold the assembly away from the horn button. It fits the spring clip perfectly, but the spring clip is a tight fit to the column base so I can’t see how it would fit. 

kind of expected an assembly diagram, although I know it’s not rocket surgery!

The holes in the spring clip are for the red spacer to go through. If the spacer isn't on the holes just right, the horn will blow. Also look at the clearance between the spring clip and the steering wheel retaining nut. Sometimes it may be necessary to file the big hole so it doesn't touch the nut. 

36 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:

Version 2: should it assemble like this, with the plastic ring as a spacer to keep the spring clip away from the horn mechanism?

Yes, otherwise the horn would always be blowing.

Edit: See answer below, I may have been wrong here...

• Like 1

Aha, I'll try that. It seems odd because it's just sitting loose, with the red clips holding it in place. The black spring clip fit snug into the steering wheel base so I assumed the white plastic was just packaging. thanks

14 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:

Aha, I'll try that. It seems odd because it's just sitting loose, with the red clips holding it in place. The black spring clip fit snug into the steering wheel base so I assumed the white plastic was just packaging. thanks

I'm at work now, but I'll double check when I get home to make sure, I may have been too quick to answer correctly. I have that wheel on 2 of my cars, so maybe my memory is failing me, lol. I will verify for sure, unless someone does it before this evening.

Electrically, the parts have to be separated until you press the button to complete the circuit. Otherwise it would always blow. 

Edit: I found this pic, but it doesn't really do it justice.

horn.JPG

• Like 1

I think what's happening is the lack of spacer is pushing the metal pin down so there is no play, compressing the little spring, allowing the small metal pin to make contact inside the steering column. Something about the sound of a constant horn press for 20 seconds that seems to unnerve the neighbors!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:

I think what's happening is the lack of spacer is pushing the metal pin down so there is no play, compressing the little spring, allowing the small metal pin to make contact inside the steering column. Something about the sound of a constant horn press for 20 seconds that seems to unnerve the neighbors!

I did get the aftermarket horn contact kit when I put that wheel in my Monte. I know I had to dig into my spare parts bin to get different parts than the kit had, maybe that belleville spring.

The one in my Camaro is all GM parts and works (worked, lol) fine. I remember using those parts in the Monte while trying to figure out why the horn always blew with the aftermarket parts, pissed me off, lol.

See if that white ring will fit on the bottom of that silver metal cup, between that & the belleville spring.

Found this on a NOVA site regarding this wheel (posts 6+9 seem to address that white ring):

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/threads/nk4-steering-wheel-horn-assembly.595386/

Once you get the kit it's pretty straight forward to install. It's basically setup like the pictures above, but use the plastic white ring that comes in the kit on the bottom of the horn button cup. When you tighten the screws down, just get them slightly tight. Don't overcrank them or you'll break the little red plastic piece. Also if you get them too tight the cup and flexible flat metal plate won't have enough play in them that they can work.

I checked both of my NK4 wheels, neither appears to have that white ring installed. As mentioned before, I didn't use the belleville spring that came with that kit. I had a GM one instead, because I think the horn always stayed on. 

• 11 months later...

Bumping for future internet travelers on the subject of the NK4 wheel. The key I've found to making this kit work is the spring. The one supplied with the kit is too short. I went to Lowes and bought a 3 dollar bag of springs, cut a little off one and it worked like a charm.

16733993125568653476332499930082.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

There’s a ton of legitimate information on this site if one takes the time to look. I’d be willing to bet over 1000 years of automotive experience, and a lot of been there done that. Or the infamous “ ask me how I know”. Guilty as charged. Yes we highjack threads ( guilty again) and have fun but the answer is usually there. I’m glad you found the information you wanted. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 1Bad_Monte said:

Man, so glad I found this thread.  Been going nuts searching for how to hook this horn and wheel up.  Will post photos of my install on a '72 MC.  

I like my nk4 wheel, but I’m still not happy with the horn, might try the spring trick myself.

Yeah the forum is gold, there’s nothing like it, you can drill down to obscure details of these cars and someone here will have seen it before and have the answer you need!

• Like 5

For further context on my fix, I had to order one of those little eyelets that has the little "arms" on it so it can lock inside the isolator. See the link below:

https://www.opgi.com/interior-accessories/steering-wheels-accessories/wood-steering-wheel-horn-contact-set/horn-contact-set-67-76-gm-ch31717.html

The order of items that go into the isolator are as follows:

the spring (longer one than came from the kit, see pic above purchased from Lowes - I had to cut to length that worked best for our application)

Then you feed little aluminum receiver through the eyelets with the "hat" end of it facing down so it rests on top of the spring inside the isolator. Then you can lock the eyelet inside the isolator.

From there you can fit the steering wheel on and then put the Belleville spring and the receiver cup on. You want that little aluminum contact only making contact with the Belleville spring if you press the horn in. If its constantly making contact, you will need to shorten your spring a little until it doesn't. If it doesn't make contact when you press the horn, you've cut the spring too short. The basic principle is when the Belleville spring makes contact with little aluminum receiver it completes the circuit and powers the horn.

Hope this makes sense, happy to help further if needed.

• Like 1