Rear defogger switch resistor

Dtret

My rear defroster works on hi and not on low. Not being an electrical savant, I jumped the resistor and the low works. So I now have 3 defrost switches that don’t work because of bad resistors. My question is what do I use for a resistor. The picture shows the ceramic (?) resistor. I’m looking to buy 3 of them to fix all the switches. Thanks. 

99F26EB7-DABD-45DB-8282-8F15E6CCA53E.jpeg

I’m staying real vague on this because I do not want to post incorrect information. Until the defogger actually gets used ( right now it works perfectly) I won’t know if I calculated the correct watt / ohms. BUT here is what I went with. 5 watt 5 ohm wirewound ceramic resistor. It fits perfectly in position on the switch. The only thing that concerns me, and also the old man at the electronics repair center, is the age and wear and tear on the 50 year old motor. I paid 10 bucks for two resistors. After I knew it would work Karen ordered a 10 pack on Amazon for 9 bucks. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

After I knew it would work Karen ordered a 10 pack on Amazon for 9 bucks. 

Ten pack? Plan on doing a lot of winter driving, 🤣?

27 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Ten pack? Plan on doing a lot of winter driving, 🤣?

As long as they don’t use salt. So no. I paid less for 10 than I paid for the two. I still have one more switch to fix. I’ll put the rest “ in stock “. lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
19 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

Interesting. I wonder if this is what I need for my rear defrost. I'll have to remember this when I get my car back

Hook that window switch up to it and see if it works. It’s kinda the same but it won’t have hi and low speed. The resistor just drops the voltage so low speed works. Hi should always work if all parts are good. 

• Like 1

I hooked the defroster blower motor up to the battery and it worked. The rear defrost was not connected to the capacitor(?) located behind the rear seat. I really paid no attention to it when I gutted the interior. Just something else to figure out on re-assembly.

• Like 1