Heatyer Hose Spring Clamps?

Hi all, looking to replace my heater hose clamps with hopefully the spring style clamp but not sure if will prevent leaking.  Has anyone used a similar type to eliminate those ugly looking screw type clamps?  Replacing Water Pump and looking to clean up look with a cleaner look when back together.  Any guidance helpful....................  Also replacing factory hose nipples for bypass and heater hoses with stainless as I expect it will not build up the sludge around nipples............

Doug

HEATER HOSE CLAMPS.JPG

If you want a clean look, use the Gates Power Grip, heat shrink clamps. Newer cars use them, they seal good. Downside is they are single use clamps. I had them in stock from some work I've done on Corvettes, so I used them when I went thru my Monte. I'll be using them on the Z/28 when that goes back together.

This site below has a good chart to determine what size you'll need, however they can be picked up anywhere like NAPA, Amazon, etc. I usually shop for the best price and buy them there.

https://www.verociousmotorsports.com/Shop-by-Brand/Gates/Gates-PowerGrip-SB-Hose-Clamps

20220120_222839.jpg

20220120_222857.jpg

• Like 4

Cleans it up a lot nicer than a bunch of metal hose clamps...

(Part of an intercooler system upgrade after heads/cam/injectors, pulleys, etc on a ZR1. Installed those systems on a few ZR1's & CTS-V's in the shop, used those clamps wherever possible/practical).

20220121_053101.jpg

• Like 1

Thanx for the suggestions guys.  I'm considering those spring clamps that you squeeze 2 tabs together to open and releasing tightens them around Hose(s).  Not sure they are strong enough to prevent leaking but smaller, only need pair of pliers and less obtrusive.  If that isn't the solution, will look at both above but those original clamps can be a pain to remove while any leak from the heat on clamps would require additional work if stranded away from repair shop, but considering.  :)

Doug  

I keep regular hose clamps of the necessary sizes in the tool box, just in case something happens on the road.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I keep regular hose clamps of the necessary sizes in the tool box, just in case something happens on the road.

As long as you have the good ones.... Those cheap knock offs don't hold very long and strip the threads way too easily. :(

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

As long as you have the good ones.... Those cheap knock offs don't hold very long and strip the threads way too easily. :(

I've worked in the chemical and power gen industries for a lot of years, lol. No cheap, Harbor Freight stuff here 😁

• Like 1

Another question.  Has anyone bought a replacement Water Pump Bypass Hose?  Looking around, I haven't seen any made specifically for the BB engine.  I remember making my own originally and tore it up attempting to remove it and can make another but was interested if one could be had.  Rethinking the Heat Shrink system also.  I bought Stainless Steel Nipples to replace those cast ones and got from suggestions made in another Post and thanx for that.  Currently rounding up those pieces I need to put New Water Pump on and in meantime, cleaning those places and touching up with paint where needed while I can still get to them.  

Again, thanx for all the info.  Should eliminate mostly my trial and error approach...................:doh:

Doug

100_6852.JPG

I looked pretty hard for a molded hose for that w/p bypass at the time. Not available anywhere, and if so not at a reasonable price. The Dayco Hose website simply gave a bulk 3/4" hose part number for that very part, which is what I ultimately used. You just have to cut it to a near perfect length and manipulate it so it goes on both nipples. Make it long enough so it doesn't come up short, but not too long so that it kinks up and restricts flow.

If you use the heat shrink clamps, just make sure you install them on the hose first, lol. Another little tip, a bit of 'Brake Cleaner' on a rag will clean off the stenciled part numbers from those hose clamps, to make it look nicer.

1 hour ago, Paul Bell said:

That looks like it's for a Corvette short water pump, may be too short for our engines. Dayco has one too #70647, but it's a short water pump hose too. When I looked up for a long water pump version (Chevelle, Monte, etc), it listed bulk 3/4" hose.

3 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

You may be right Joe. This one is listed for a Chevelle. The clamps look like the ones I couldn't find earlier to post here.

https://www.ss396.com/chevelle/CPH-1658.html

Those years, 1965-68, even for Chevelle would be a short water pump too I think, Paul. 1969 and later came with the long water pumps, except Corvette, which I think still had short pumps.

NAPA (among others) has that style of clamp, typically they use that type for Fuel Injection hoses, as they're rated for higher pressures and a full grip around the hose.

Tom, my 2 crate LS6's from the late 1980's came straight from GM with a bit of a molded hose, but like you said....it's never to be found again, lol.

I used to have the correct hose saved in my PC, I think it was a Dayco but I can't find it.

I certain it's one of these but you'll need to figure out what looks to fit best:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bypass+hose+for+1970+chevelle+454&form=HDRSC2&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover

I don't believe you will find that particular Hose & will have to make one, as I did originally.  That Hose was cut to 4" length, .750 I.D. and at minimum 1" O.D.  That is the Hose seen in my photo above.   It will be just a matter of forming/fitting a replacement.  Summits shipping my new water pump and stainless pipe nipples as I type, so will hopefully have everything together by then.  

Appreciate all this information Guys, :)

Doug