New 72 Monte

Finally got my Monte in, can’t even find out how to pop the hood?? Also, i see screws on the dash holding it together, is this one piece I can order and have it installed correctly?

A71F44FD-3F2F-4D3C-8226-38725FD2BBE8.jpeg

Hello, welcome!

The way to open the hood is above the front license plate. You should see a black tab. Pull towards you till the hood opens. 

The screw you show is not factory installed. If you remove it, besides the side of the dash pad popping out, most likely. There will be a hole in the dashboard itself. I would find a brown paint that closely matches the dash and paint the screw head untill you decide what route you may take. 

Richard,

Glad to hear you got your Monte.  

The hood release should be in the opening in the middle of the front bumper where the license plate area.  It should be just a piece of metal that has a slight hook in it.  It does not quite extend past the bumper thus the top of the bumper sort of hides it.

Regarding the dash.  Neither that screw or whatever the other thing is should be there.  The dash pad should be held down by screws that go straight up into it.   Unfortunately the burlwood is not reproduced.  You may be able to patch it but I think it will always be noticed.  You may be able to find a used one either here through the members or on ebay.

rob

20 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Safety latch, pull the lever more and lift the hood at the same time. 

Tom is correct, the same lever is used for full opening.  It can sometimes be a challenge.  You have to contort yourself enough to do both pulling the release and lifting the hood at the same time but it does work.  Maybe we should have people send pictures of themselves and the positions they have to get into to do this.  

rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Tom is correct, the same lever is used for full opening.  It can sometimes be a challenge.  You have to contort yourself enough to do both pulling the release and lifting the hood at the same time but it does work.  Maybe we should have people send pictures of themselves and the positions they have to get into to do this.  

rob

Fat fingers can be an issue too.... Those greasy sausages don't always grip the bottom edge. ;)

18 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Richard,

Glad to hear you got your Monte.  

The hood release should be in the opening in the middle of the front bumper where the license plate area.  It should be just a piece of metal that has a slight hook in it.  It does not quite extend past the bumper thus the top of the bumper sort of hides it.

Regarding the dash.  Neither that screw or whatever the other thing is should be there.  The dash pad should be held down by screws that go straight up into it.   Unfortunately the burlwood is not reproduced.  You may be able to patch it but I think it will always be noticed.  You may be able to find a used one either here through the members or on ebay.

rob

Check out "Mega Parts Post"..... Jared's got tons of stuff, and he's probably not that far from you. 

My hood is harder than most to open, When I pull the latch, it doesn't even pop up to get my fingers under it. I have to pry it open between the hood and the grill, then pull the latch more to get it open. One more thing to take care of when the body work gets done

34 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

My hood is harder than most to open, When I pull the latch, it doesn't even pop up to get my fingers under it. I have to pry it open between the hood and the grill, then pull the latch more to get it open. One more thing to take care of when the body work gets done

That's a fairly easy fix, I just did it on my car. I put an extra spring inside the other spring on the latch. It's a little difficult to see it but it's there and I also included the spring number, it's the one that's missing off the board.

20210818_145754.jpg

20210816_190438.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

I bought the spring but I can't get the latch apart. Not sure if I need heat it up

Mine came right apart, try spraying with penatrating oil. Be careful with heat it could weaken the outer spring or replace it. Remember there is a jam nut at the top that's a little difficult to get a wrench on but doable.

47 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

I soaked the bolt a ton, I got the nut but  I'll  try it again over weekend, thanks

There's a nut on the top also you may have to put a wrench on the screwdriver or try and grab the cone part with vice grips to break it loose.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 7:59 PM, 71SSclone said:

Probably the 50 year old spring has just worn out and weakened. I would try just replacing the spring first.

• Like 2