72 Monte Fuel

Last question for a month, promise 😉:

My new ‘72 was delivered on empty, what’s the best gas to use for my vehicle. My research is showing ethanol free only??

thx

1 hour ago, MrDavie said:

My new ‘72 was delivered on empty, what’s the best gas to use for my vehicle. My research is showing ethanol free only??

thx

High octane is not required for a stock 1972 engine but if you can find ethanol free that would be best. I used to run at least 89 octane in my 72 I had but usually 91.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MrDavie said:

thx

Ask all the questions you want. You’re learning about your new ( old) car. Remember nobody on this forum new anything before they learned about it. I still learn everyday and I’m old. Lol. Again ask away. 

• Like 3

thx in that case after I start my car (even just to pull in from driveway to garage), no more than 1 minute, the gas smell lingers so bad in the garage, almost gives me a headache. This morning i went in there and still smelled it, i understand it’s not fuel injected, but is there anyway to calm the lingering smell?

That’s generally going to happen for a couple reasons. First the car is not ever warming up, it’s not getting hot enough to burn the fumes and they are building up. When the car is cold you’re pulling in more fuel do to it being choked and it’s not getting time to burn it. Also check all vacuum hoses for proper hook up. There is a canister by the drivers headlight( opposite side of the car from the battery but close to same place) make sure that is all hooked up. Should be three hoses. Short starts are really hard on cars. Put good gas in and let it run. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MrDavie said:

thx in that case after I start my car (even just to pull in from driveway to garage), no more than 1 minute, the gas smell lingers so bad in the garage, almost gives me a headache. This morning i went in there and still smelled it, i understand it’s not fuel injected, but is there anyway to calm the lingering smell?

Look the fuel system over good make sure there's no leaks but some gas fuems are fairly normal. But definitely check for leaks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dtret said:

In addition to the above there’s a ton of other things also, carb setting, timing, etc. I just went easy first. 

A good tune up never hurts. And you could check the jetting on your carb..... It may be too high, depending on where it used to live.