8 track conversion

The 8-track is the same size radio. When I bought my car it had a am radio that didn't work. I found a couple 8-tracks on ebay and had a guy on the east coast go through the radio and 8track to make sure everything worked. 

I want the Monte to be a time machine, I won’t be fanatical about restoring everything to original, but I don’t want it to feel like a modern car except for a few creature comforts. I like the idea of slapping on some Thin Lizzy and roaring around town with a stupid grin! I have all the Bluetooth gear in my Audi. 

anyone selling / swapping an 8 track? 

23 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I converted mine from am 8 track to am/fm. But I did have stereo speakers. So easy peasy. I’m still hunting am/fm 8 track. 

So with mono / single rear speaker it’s the whole loom needs replacing? I’d definitely do a plug & play but not sure I should be rolling another snowball here!

Who doesn't like to hear Phil belting out some "Thunder and Lightning" ??? ;)

Yeah, you'll need to add some leads to power multiple speakers. But seeing as you have the carpet out, that'll be easy enough to do. 

There was a place that builds updated "retro " stereos..... I'll look into it and get back to you. 

• Like 1

Funny enough there was a ‘modern’ tape cassette in the glove box (Johnny cash 👍🏻) so I wonder did it have a cassette player at some stage? Was there ever cassette as an option, or is there a nearly oem cassette player available? Cassette would be a close 2nd, plus I actually own loads of them. I’d have to buy 8 track cassette!

You should just need a rear speaker harness. I use a small bluetooth speaker I set on the dash and steam from my cell phone if I want iheartradio or audasy  radio. Or pop in an old 8track. Best of both worlds

I remember why I sent the guy two radios, I bought one for the green face for the 1970 dash. The other was for a 72. the repair shop gave me a cash allowance for the spare radio. I'll try to find his name.

On my original Monte that I bought new I installed an under dash FM/cassette unit.  That may be what a previous owner did.

I do know there is a place that will take your current radio and put all new internals into it and make it into a blue-tooth so you can play your tunes from your phone.  You would need to run wires to the back for speakers if yours doesn't already have them.  

To find an original 8-track is going to be very expensive, even if it does not work and I feel most any that your would find would need to be rebuilt which is also very expensive.  To go from an AM to an AM/FM or an AM/FM 8-track I think will need a new harness.  

Some AM's had an option to get with a speaker in the back.  Mine is like that but only one speaker.

Two speakers in the front Vs one speaker in the front.  All Air Conditioned cars came with two speakers in the front because the upper center vent for the AC duct work meant the single center speaker could not be installed.  I don't know this for sure but I don't think dual speakers in the back was an option back then, only a single speaker but again I am not sure about that.

I hope this helps.

rob

selling my 1970 am fm 8 track stereo, was removed from a 70 a long time ago and should work after a tune up as they say. 

yea they are selling on ebay from anywhere from 600 to 2300... and this is the rarest year 1970. 

$1000usd and its for sale.   shipping to the usa will be up there as these weigh a fair bit.

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

7 minutes ago, Crom Cruach said:

😳

Beautiful condition but I have other things I could do with a grand. Thanks  classic hits fm it is!

or I might just install my vinyl record player in the trunk 😂

I have an AM 8 Track. It can be converted to AM FM but will retain its stock appearance 

The AM FMs are super rare in 8 Track. 

When you can put your entire music collection on a "thumb drive", it just makes it easier to carry around. (and you're not fumbling with the stereo at the lights parked next to a police officer.) LOL !!

• Like 1

I like Pauls thought of putting a turntable in the trunk , I do still have Vinyl lol. When my Sony JukeBox's gave up the ghost I burned all my CD's to the computer. I have thumb drives in all my vehicles (not the convertible) with single songs on them as well as the stereos in the garage.