Any ideas for good quarte panel rust repairs?

GideonBowles

I am trying to find some good quarter panels for my car but I don't really know what are good options, I have found some but I cant find if they are good.

Anyway I basically only need up to the tip body line on each side, I really don't want to get the whole quarte panel because then I would have to either cut some off (as far as I know they are expensive) or I take the vinyl off and I don't want to unless I have too. I know the vinyl is coming off and I will have to replace it its just not something I want to do. Thank you.

895848838_Leftside.thumb.jpg.38f3c098c2c112a0618a46caf64e8bbd.jpg

94606778_rightside.thumb.jpg.feb0b30e7c4b1bb0ce5a3c610b696d37.jpg

• Like 1

Are the wheel lips/inner wheel house all rusty. Those don't look too bad from those pics, but would need a lot better detail to make a better decision.

I'd be more concerned about that bent up rear frame section. May be worth having a good collision shop check to see if the frame is bent or needs pulled before you start trying to hang new sheet metal.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Are the wheel lips/inner wheel house all rusty. Those don't look too bad from those pics, but would need a lot better detail to make a better decision.

I'd be more concerned about that bent up rear frame section. May be worth having a good collision shop check to see if the frame is bent or needs pulled before you start trying to hang new sheet metal.

:dtwhat Joe said, you may want to get that top off too and make sure the window channels are OK. Looks like that one side could use  the full quarter panel the one side you may be able to put a patch panel in the bottom.  Is that tail panel bent in also?

Vinyl top is peeling so it’s coming off anyway. I agree full quarter on drivers side and possibly patch passenger side. Double ditto frame issue first. Everything depends on that being right. Still very doable. 

• Like 1

You would be well served to pull off the vinyl around the window channel to see its condition. If you are careful and that area is in good shape you can always glue it back on.There is also nothing that says you can't buy a full quarter panel and only use the sections you need.

My thoughts on the left rear side.  With the amount of repair that may be required repairing or piecing in metal into that one and since you want to still have a vinyl roof I would try to find a driver side 1/4 panel which would include the sail panel.  It may be similar costs to doing a complete repair on the original one and it would be much less likely to experience unseen rust.

rob

I would pull the vinyl top and inspect around the rear window area very carefully. I was just going to repair my rear window channel, and that quickly escalated to 1/4 panels, roof panel, trunk floor, and interior floor pans. 

John

34 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

I would pull the vinyl top and inspect around the rear window area very carefully. I was just going to repair my rear window channel, and that quickly escalated to 1/4 panels, roof panel, trunk floor, and interior floor pans. 

John

Ahhhh the old snowball effect, we've all been there done that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:42 AM, jft69z said:

Yes there is quite a lot of rust one the inner wheel house, that area is basically not there besides a very small lip. And I have a rear frame so I will cut out the bent part and weld that on.

On 1/31/2022 at 12:35 PM, cny first gen 71 said:

:dtwhat Joe said, you may want to get that top off too and make sure the window channels are OK. Looks like that one side could use  the full quarter panel the one side you may be able to put a patch panel in the bottom.  Is that tail panel bent in also?

Thank you, and yes the tail panel is bent on the left, luckily the right side wasn't effected in the collision.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GideonBowles said:

Yes there is quite a lot of rust one the inner wheel house, that area is basically not there besides a very small lip. And I have a rear frame so I will cut out the bent part and weld that on.

I was afraid it may be all rusty. In that case, a quarter panel is the best bet. As far as the rear frame, there are some dimensional drawing around here someplace. May be a good idea to measure real carefully, then decide if it needs to be pulled into shape with a frame machine.

17 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Hopefully it can be pulled back out  they are getting tough to find and expensive, one member had a nos tail panel for sale a while back not sure if he still does.  Good luck with it.

Thanks and luckily I was given a tail panel, its a little rusty on some spots but we can repair that hopefully. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Take it to a frame straightening place. The most likely could straighten the frame and most of the quarter panel and tail panel. 

I hope this helps. 

IMG_20191209_122419.jpg

This should help a lot thank you very much!

• Like 1