Brake pedal side-to-side movement and another question

Hey all! Help?

This doesn't look right to me, but I don't think I'm missing anything. https://i.imgur.com/iCSwAU5.mp4

It's the original bracket (dipped in Metal Rescue and painted), the original pivot pin. New bushings, new pivon retainer clip, new brake pedal. Pedal is connected to the master cylinder rod with a new clevice. All the motion seems to be coming from the upper pivot point.

Holding the original pedal next to the new one I saw no differences in pivot width or diameters. The only things I haven't put on yet (that I know of) are the bumper, the stop light switch, and the tab that hits the switch.

There's no way this amount of movement is normal, right?

Second question: looking through the assembly manual it's not clear to me if the pedal should have a return spring or not. I found the diagrams for the brake/clutch and it showed a spring but maybe that was for the clutch? Or maybe it was 1:30am and I was a little cross-eyed... 😵

That's pretty sloppy. Either the hole in the new pedal is bigger than the original, or the new bushing is not sized as the original possibly?. Doesn't appear to be a lateral 'sliding', side to side problem that a shim would correct, though it may help limit the swing. Looks more like it's 'sloppy' in the hole. (I'm sure Dennis' head is going to explode over that line..🤣)

Do you have the old pedal available to see if it works better, or was it replaced due to damage, missing, etc?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jft69z said:

That's pretty sloppy. Either the hole in the new pedal is bigger than the original, or the new bushing is not sized as the original possibly?. Doesn't appear to be a lateral 'sliding', side to side problem that a shim would correct, though it may help limit the swing. Looks more like it's 'sloppy' in the hole. (I'm sure Dennis' head is going to explode over that line..🤣)

Do you have the old pedal available to see if it works better, or was it replaced due to damage, missing, etc?

No comment 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Wow, Dennis has been left speechless a lot lately.  Not necessarily a bad thing, just an observation on my part.

rob

Some things are better left unsaid. I feel like I’m being picked on. It makes me 😞    

Just now, Dtret said:

I feel like I’m being picked on. It makes me 😞 

Boooo hoooo...poor you.

31 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Some things are better left unsaid. I feel like I’m being picked on. It makes me 😞    

Going from speechless to being a whiner.  Come on Dennis man up  🤣

rob

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

That’s kinda what I was thinking but I didn’t mic the inner diameters; just eyeballed it. 

I still have the original. Original bushings too, actually. I’ll take it all apart and put the original back in, with old bushings and then new just for giggles, see if that does any better. If it is then I’ll see if I can dip and paint the original pedal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clever Idiot said:

I’ll take it all apart and put the original back in, with old bushings and then new just for giggles, see if that does any better. 

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know if it works better.

DERP!!!

So I went back, took out the new one. Compared the bushings old vs new by setting them on top of each other edge to edge to compare diameters. Perfect match. 

Aligned the pivot barrels of old vs new and looked down them from both directions. No so much as a millimeter difference. 

Carefully maneuvered the old rusty pedal by all my new shiny stuff, got the pivot pin in, and it was still shaking. So I decided to memory dump and look at it all over again to see exactly where it was moving where it shouldn’t be moving. 

And then it dawned on me. 

The package of pivot bushings came with 4. I assumed it was one pair for a brake pedal and one pair for a clutch pedal. What I saw with new eyes was that there was a whole lot of motion on the ends of the pivot pin where it passed through the bracket (I had put one pair of bushings inside the barrel of the pedal pivot). 

The other pair was supposed to go in the bracket holes. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I pulled the old pedal, put in the new one with all four bushings aaaaaand

https://i.imgur.com/TNSmk6n.mp4