Guess what I found

Shadow Gray SS

First I want to declare Leo as Saint Monte Carlo, thanks for the

parts and the invaluable advice.

Well, the following are some pics of my BUILDSHEET!!!!!

Confirmed the VIN and I can't stop grinning.

Any suggestions on removing the portion that is stuck to the seat

frame? An area about the size of a silver dollar is bonded pretty

good and it is right where it says monte carlo ss.

build_6-1.jpg

build_5-1.jpg

build_4-1.jpg

build_3-1.jpg

build_1-1.jpg

build_2-1.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam has it right unfortunately. When you remove the seat cover and the padding and burlap, it will fall right out grin

Good luck with it, nice find!!!

Is that the rear or front seat? I had a sheet in both of mine, and none on my tank

Sam, do you know which block would give me tach info and what the codes are?

Also, unfortunately the sheet is in two pieces and where you see

the piece attached to the seat frame is all there is left to remove.

I was thinking shooting some steam on it but wanted to check with

folks on here before I destroyed it with ignorance.

Steam??

here's a pix of my 70's build sheet, not a SS, but does have the tach and gauge package, I don't know any of the codes, maybe someone else will chime in here

box #72 has the tach code, my is 938

picture039gd3.jpg

That's cool, Jake! I've never torn my interior apart looking for my car's buildsheet, but after talking with Vaughn about it at the get-together in Penticton last weekend I think that I may be checking the bucket seat shells before too long...

Dave

I agree take the seat apart, that paper is priceless...at the very least take many pictures of it before you attempt to remove it.

Bill

Congrats on finding your babys' "Birth Certificate"! That's really cool;I wish I could find mine but I've crawled around every square inch of my car...well, mostly. But then again I wasn't really looking for the buildsheet. nutz

here's a pix of my 70's build sheet, not a SS, but does have the tach and gauge package, I don't know any of the codes, maybe someone else will chime in here

box #72 has the tach code, my is 938

picture039gd3.jpg

"RPO" is an acronym used by General Motors to denote a "Regular Production Option". Here is a list of them.. link These are probably good only to 1972.

Rod

That's cool, Jake! I've never torn my interior apart looking for my car's buildsheet, but after talking with Vaughn about it at the get-together in Penticton last weekend I think that I may be checking the bucket seat shells before too long...

Dave

Really...the back seat is pretty easy to remove. Well kind of...you just have to give it a little bit of assistance where it hooks in underneath.

Mike ususally uses a big screwdriver and a rubber mallot to tap on the wire cushion frame (as seen in the picture) and I lift up when it clears the catch part. I actually saw someone post that they used a ball joint separator instead of a screwdriver and I bet that works even better.

th_RearSeatFig.jpg

But you could seriously have your back seat out in about 5 minutes to look for the build sheet.

Oh Jake I was thinking steam as well...but have never tried it. I don't think it would damage it...if you don't have a steamer maybe use your wifes iron and give it a couple of blasts.

That is a great find!

Now I want to find mine, does anyone know if they put build sheets in cars made in Canada, and if so where would it be? I've checked the back seat, and looked under the front seats with a light, but best I can tell it's not there? Maybee under gas tank?

Chad

Mine is Baltimore. Leo says Baltimore was great about putting

them in. I believe Flint is the plant that didn't put them in.

You need to pull the backs off the front, not just look under.

That is what I did until I talked to Leo. They can be under the

back, behind the back, under or behind the fronts, in the doors,

above the gas tank, under the dash, under dash pad, I think I

remember reading on here that one was found in the front fender.

Mine was a Baltimore car, and had 2 in it. Too bad my car wasnt an SS! Oh well, it was still a nice find for me to have a numbers matching car with a sheet, even though its nothing special. Im glad you found it for your car Jake, treat that paper well!!!

Guest 71SSMC

I foud mine above the gas tank, I looked everywhere else and found nothing but was happy to find the one on the tank. My car is also a Baltimore car.

Well, I decided to move forward with the steam idea. I think it

helped, but wasn't enough to get it so I used a 2" razor blade to

assist and it worked pretty good. I am getting some archival

sleeves today to preserve it. Once I get it in there I will make a

copy and scan it in so I can post it.

Guest Monte2112

I recently used the ball joint separator and it worked well. Once I had it wedged between the floor and seat frame, I gave a light tap with a screwdriver (on the seat frame) and it popped right out!!

Brian

That is a great find!

Now I want to find mine, does anyone know if they put build sheets in cars made in Canada, and if so where would it be? I've checked the back seat, and looked under the front seats with a light, but best I can tell it's not there? Maybee under gas tank?

Chad

I've read somewhere that Canadian built Monte's don't come with build sheets. Not sure if it's true or not, but I can tell you that mine is a Canadian car and my car was a complete restoration, so I tore all the carpet up and had all the seats re apolstered and did not find a build sheet anywhere on mine...