Upper Control Arm Bushings

My car has (I believe) Prothane bushings in the control arms. But I’m missing the front bushing on the passenger side. Not only that, I’m missing the cap, lock washer, and bolt too! The other three bolts/bushings were loose. I will tighten those ones. My problem is Prothane only sells the bushings in kits that include all the bushings for the control arms. But the assistant from Prothane couldn’t seem to tell me if the kit includes the cap. I can get a bolt and lock washer from any hardware or parts store, but I need the cap. The assistant said “the kit includes shells.” Are the shells the “caps” I’m referring too? 2D3608A7-3D0C-4871-B8F1-0FF55A296626.thumb.jpeg.5e625bcfcaaa84db46f5870664500023.jpeg6E4C73FC-74A8-41E6-BDAC-7A0366F47A5A.thumb.jpeg.0c6c1558cfad585d2ff72ac255722cbb.jpeg

So, I talked to my parts guy. He’s ordered me a stock bushing. We’ll see if it fits. Better than no bushing lol. I got a couple wrecking yards in my area too, so if the stock bushing doesn’t come with a cap or if my Chevy dealer can’t get me one, I’ll definitely go scrap-yard hunting! You guys are awesome, and I greatly appreciate you helping steer me in the right direction! 👍🏼

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 9:18 PM, RazzNdazz said:

12AB104E-1458-4A62-8BCB-F6F52A1E840B.thumb.jpeg.15bf7bc9f5296ab8b6ca8fe7112e18ff.jpeg

Late to the party here, but I have a question. Is it a factory application to have bolts going in to the upper control arm shaft, to hold the bushings in place? In the past, I have only seen upper control arm shafts that were externally threaded and the bushings were held by a nut and washer. When I bought my Monte, the upper control arms were falling off, due to the bolts backing out and falling off. I ordered new upper control arms and they were manufactured the same way (with the bolt).  I just figured it was a cheap "made in China" part but now Im not sure.

John

1 hour ago, 71SSclone said:

Is it a factory application to have bolts going in to the upper control arm shaft, to hold the bushings in place?

The factory used bolts that thread into the upper shaft as you noted. Aftermarket replacement shafts tend to be threaded and use the larger nuts to secure the control arm.

Good to know. Thanks Joe.  My GM A-body experience came from mainly Buick Skylarks and GS's back in the day. (30 years ago or more) I could have sworn it was a threaded shaft and nuts. But, it was a long time ago and memories from then are faded. Glad a took alot of pictures back then. 

John 

• Like 1