New Mac owner in TX

Wmfrick

57F5178B-E3EC-4410-954D-8F7FC1B00AE6.thumb.jpeg.398920745f2eed6056edc220cf722d92.jpeg57F5178B-E3EC-4410-954D-8F7FC1B00AE6.thumb.jpeg.398920745f2eed6056edc220cf722d92.jpegI recently purchased my dream car a 1972 Monte Carlo, I have loved these cars as long as I remember. I grew up in my dads ‘89 Monte Carlo ls. I picked this car up from Amarillo, I ran a vin decoder and it seems to be a base 350 2bbl car it currently has a 327/th350 in it future plans are to make a restomod big block with a standard so glad to be a part of the community! I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions! My fist one is does anyone have a recommendation on replacement steering column length?

8C3A6676-28DA-4BEB-A984-41D86873260A.jpeg

E9128AC6-52B1-44BA-A6FC-2656378C4D47.jpeg

• Like 2

Welcome to the madness! Congrats on the purchase of your dream car!

What do you need the column length for? Any A-body column will interchange. Ie, Chevelle, Malibu, 300, El camino, grand prix, GTO, lemans,tempest, t-37, skylark, GS, cutlass, 442, f-85 etc from 69-72. 68 will also fit but has the ignition key on the dash and not on the column. 

It’s not changing the length but currently the steering column is torn apart and the splines are stripped I have vound them in a 30” and 32” just curious which these cars have. I’m also finding a lot of columns that are for dash ignition but I thought the ignition was on the column in montes605FBB94-4196-4386-B870-F1686AC3D183.thumb.jpeg.e837b79881235d475f9eb6acebf5a46d.jpeg

:W congratulations on your dream car. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Not the first time I've seen vice grips for a steering wheel lol. I bought a good tilt column for 200 a couple years ago.. they are out there. Lots of great info on here for sure. Take lots of pictures along the way.

9 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

:W congratulations on your dream car. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. Not the first time I've seen vice grips for a steering wheel lol. I bought a good tilt column for 200 a couple years ago.. they are out there. Lots of great info on here for sure. Take lots of pictures along the way.

Thanks! It definitely looks like it’s gonna be a long journey but I can’t wait

Welcome. Good project. I also agree with above posts on the column. But if you’re looking for one for a floor shift it’s going to be a bit more challenging. And more expensive. But you can change the collar on any column. 

22 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Welcome. Good project. I also agree with above posts on the column. But if you’re looking for one for a floor shift it’s going to be a bit more challenging. And more expensive. But you can change the collar on any column. 

For the time being I’m just trying to pick up a house brand column shift I’ll pick up a nice ididit column later when I’m ready to tackle the drivetrain

:W to the Monte Madness!  I’m not sure about the length (30 vs 32) but wanted you to know we have great folks that sells used parts like Jared in SC, Leo in MI and Hector in AZ (I think?).

we love pictures, share your progress as you go along and enjoy your dream car!

• Like 1