Removing vinyl top Q's...

JP_AstroMan

Fantastic! Thank you. I'll be trying out the 275's off the Monte as soon as the purple people eating wagon arrives Friday. Hopefully there is room to spare for 295's. The rallys will look pretty off on that car. But if not, Maggy the Monte will be getting a second chance at wheels. 

I've been thinking about this wagon's 80's paint job and as much as I hate it I do wonder what it might look like taking the patina route and keeping it. We shall see. 

ee110.jpg

• Like 1

So I got the Wagon delivered yesterday. Today I threw on the 275's from the Monte to see how they fit. There is plenty of room to spare so I think 295's are in my future. Needs to be lowered an inch or so. Here is a before and after pic...

20220226_145914.jpg

20220226_145821.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 6:51 AM, JP_AstroMan said:

If anyone knows the best way to get all this glue off, I'm all ears.

20220216_125623.jpg

I bought my first 69 Chevelle in 1985 from my uncle for $800. It had a vinyl top so that why I'm pretty partial to the look, but it has to be black. I don't like any other colors of vinyl. Anyway I used paint stripper to strip the paint and glue off the the flat section of the roof. Use a light coating on all the sections that you can safely sand without worry of panel warpage then use 80 grit  on your sander since your going to have to sand that roof anyway.

No matter what you choose to do prime the roof with epoxy primer to seal it. Then do any needed bodywork.

Putting the epoxy primer on first is a great idea. If you get side tracked no worries about rust and the filler actually adheres better than to bare metal in my thinking. When we redid my 72 in 13 we did not do that nad had some surface rust appear a few time from humidity

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 2/17/2022 at 6:51 AM, JP_AstroMan said:

It's going to be a tough decision as to whether I will keep the trim and two tone it or do all the work to delete the trim holes and paint the whole car black (my dream Monte is triple black).

If anyone knows the best way to get all this glue off, I'm all ears.

20220216_125623.jpg

What is the part # for these trim clips?

Are they riveted on?

Source?

TIA!

From what I can see, at least the area we can see, all of the studs and trim clips are intact.  I must say, for a vinyl top car, your roof is in amazing shape.  Had it ever been removed, repaired and reinstalled?  If not you have quite a gem there with little work.  As far as removing the glue, I would hope we get some other members to chime in to answer the glue removal recommendations. 

rob