rear tire fit 1970

Batman

Steve,

That rim/tire combo should fit - but just barely - unless you trim the inside edge of the wheel well opening flange.

Any 8" wide rim with a 4.5" back space has an offset of zero (0) meaning the wheel mounting surface is exactly centered between the inside and outside edges of the rim.

I am running the same tire and rim width on the rear of my '70 but my rims have 5.0" back space which is a positive 1/2" (+12mm) offset. That means the wheel mounting surface is 1/2" closer to the outside edge of the rim and therefore the rim/tire combo is moved inboard 1/2" further, increasing the clearance between the outer sidewall and the wheel well flange. 

I know the clearance between the tire sidewall and the inside edge of my unaltered wheel well flange is right at 3/4" so your rims with only a 4.5" backspace will move your sidewall 1/2" further outboard resulting in only about 1/4" of clearance at the same point (that's why I said "just barely" above).  That is not much clearance considering body roll and suspension shift during cornering, hard acceleration or braking.

Of course, you can provide up to an inch of extra clearance by trimming the wheel well flange if you are able and so inclined - it's been done many times before.

BTW, the tiresize.com website has a Tire Size Calculator and a Wheel Offset Calculator that are invaluable in answering questions such as yours.  In fact, if you take the time to carefully measure the clearances of your current tire/rim combo and enter all of that into the two calculators as your current setup, you can then compare any other tire/rim combination to it and see visually and quantitively what it will be on your own Monte.  Good luck.

PA230053.JPG

5 hours ago, MCfan said:

I know the clearance between the tire sidewall and the inside edge of my unaltered wheel well flange is right at 3/4" so your rims with only a 4.5" backspace will move your sidewall 1/2" further outboard resulting in only about 1/4" of clearance at the same point (that's why I said "just barely" above).  That is not much clearance considering body roll and suspension shift during cornering, hard acceleration or braking.

Yea, I would suggest 5" backspacing. Dennis makes some good points and info 

They should fit no problem. That’s the exact set up I have on my car. They are cragar 15x8 4.5 backspace with Mickey Thompson e/t streets in 275/60r15. Didn’t even have to trim the inner lip. The inner side of the tire has about an inch of clearance or more , it’s not even close. 

FFB6B5AB-B728-4A24-B02F-145C8C55834E.thumb.jpeg.9957c8f7819541317378b6bd0502e6b8.jpeg