Brake Vacuum Advice.

Mike C

Learning as we go. During the engine rebuild we replaced the stock cam with a more aggressive "Baby Rattler" cam.

Only to discover later that it appears as though there's not enough vacuum to operate the brake booster properly. 

So we've started researching options to increase the vacuum. 

Anyone out there have tips/tricks or suggestions on what they have done?

Ie: auxiliary vacuum pump, type model etc.

From reading up on them price and quality are all over the place. Operating noise seems to be the biggest thing to focus on.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

I have an electric vacuum pump for the brakes in my 70 SS with a 496. I hid it  under the fender on the driver's side behind the windshield washer reservoir. 

The only time I hear it or feel any vibration is when the engine is not running. 

I put the Leeds vacuum pump in my car, hid it under the fender like Tom, except in the space closer to the firewall. It was a little harder to mount there, but that's where I wanted it. I tee'd it in with the engine vacuum so it doesn't have to work as hard, but you must add an extra check valve so that engine fumes don't back up into the pump.

Have you put a vacuum gauge on your carb/intake to test how many in. it’s creating? I recently had some brake boost troubles and I tested mine; I’m at around 5,000ft elevation and have a cam too and I’m pulling 11in of vacuum. And it’s still plenty of boost to stop my car easily. I had a tear in the diaphragm inside my booster. Replaced the booster and even with only 11in, it stops like dream!