Monte Motivation

GatorDog72

The last 6 months or so has been difficult for me to find motivation to work on my car. Between life events, depression, and lack of available parts, I haven't really accomplished much. I've owned my Monte Carlo for 8 years now and I don't plan on ever selling it. I want to continue to improve the build, just don't have the motivation to do it. What are some things you guys do to motivate yourself to work on your cars?

From what I have seen from your facebook posts in the past you are into a lot of different auto projects.  I have seen you branch off into some of the foreign car interests.  Som of the depression and lack of motovation coulb be due to too many irons in the fire and not seeing the deisred progress across all of the projects due to the number of projects.  I know it would frustrate me to have too many balls in the air and deciding which ones I need to drop and which ones I need to keep in the air.

Just one note.... for motovation and I don't mean to add any pressure here but since you are coming to the Eastern Meet getting any Monte projects completed prior to the meet may induce some motovation on the Monte.  Concentrate on the 4 months till the Eastern Meet.

rob

• Like 4

I ran into this on mine. I took a total of 1148 pictures from the day I bought it to now. It helped me to go back and look at the progress. And actually a lot of the little things were what did it. Because they are usually the biggest pain and the most time consuming. Don’t feel bad because I’d bet my last dollar it is/has happened to everyone. Just my thoughts. 

• Like 3

I gotta aggree with Rob, you you got a lot going on with other projects and lack of parts and problems with the monte transmission.  You also lost your best buddy and these last 2 years haven't been easy on any of us. If you need to talk or whatever you know I'm not far from you. I still haven't been over to see the garage yet either. Good luck my friend you'll get it back!

• Like 4

One of my other hobbies is wood working. I went crazy and worked like I was nuts for several months two years ago and completed several lamps, candle holders and a table and two decorative benches and hten the shap has set for the last 18 monthsdue to lack of interest nad shouilder surgery last year. I got back out in the shop last week and finished up two live edge table tops and now a kitc hen cart my wife wanted and now back in the wood groove.  So theselulls are happening to me more often as I get older and they boother me some but I decided that going solower and not working on so many things at the same time is what it is taking me to get back in the groove. Somtime spreading yourself to this takes the joy out of a project as my Monte has not had any major project for 3 years until this past fall and my son in-law and I installed a Holley Sniper EFI and now ready to do other small projects to it. You just need to go slow and easy to keep the show on the road.

• Like 2

Steve and Rob already know. 😂 You're definitely right on the money! Too many irons in the fire, I think. I'm just coming to terms with it now it seems. I'm not 18 anymore and jamming every day on 6 different cars isn't as easy as it used to be. I've definitely gotten more into the import side of the car scene over the past few years. For me, it's always about learning something new and I've learned a lot from the technology available on modern imports.

A couple years ago, my father and I built a clone of a Japanese market '91 Integra with a b18c Type R engine. The steering is on the opposite side and everything. Some of my other projects include a 95 Nissan 240sx with a Skyline GTR engine swap, a '91 Honda CRX Si, and a '96 Integra GSR with a frankenstein accord/civic K24 engine. I build everything from start to finish, just like my Monte Carlo. Engines, transmissions, paint, everything. 

I may have burnt myself out trying to get parts and work on everything all at once. I think for starters, at least 2 cars have to go. It makes me sad to sell, but it's better to let them go to someone who will have more time to actually enjoy them. I just gotta get my priorities straight! I should have been running the Monte down the 1/4 mile 5 years ago!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how old you are but about 2 years ago, I’m 45, I lost interest in working on my projects. I think I got that way from realizing I was always working on them, trying to go faster, handle better and so on instead of enjoying what I built.  So I decided to make a “good enough” list. The 72 is a head turner and performs as good as it looks. Done.  The corvette is just fine for track days. Done. The 88 runs the 1/4 straight, hooks, and consistently. Done. And the 55 pick up, just a driver. Done. I have one more big build to do and I will finish it because I started it however, after that it’s only repairs and maintenance.  I’d rather have memories in the car, not under the car. 

• Like 2