Trans Kickdown

drdave69

The trans kickdown on my 454 with TH400 does not work. I removed the switch at the accelerator pedal and tested it with my meter and there is continuity when sliding the switch. I looked at my wiring diagram and did not find this switch (or the switch in the trans). The accelerator switch has purple w/black and black wires. The switch in the trans is orange and a black wire.

Any help with exactly how this is supposed to work would be appreciated.

Dave, does the car still have the TCS solenoid and relay?? I believe the purple and black wire runs from the switch at the pedal to the relay on the gutter on the fire wall. The orange and black wire runs from the relay to the switch on the transmission (drivers side). I can double check my car tonight when I get home.

Both if you can.The wires on the kick down inside the car are Orange and Tan. Bought it from year one years ago. Those wires go to the tranny. There is a Packard connector. I never thought it worked well.🥴

can you post two pictures showing the wires inside and in the engine compartment? I don’t have that TCS set up anymore.

I will look at my wiring again and validate what color wires at each location. I have not looked for the relay on the firewall gutter yet. Heck, I didn't even know this setup was called TCS. I'd like to know a little more on how it works. Such as, does the pedal switch send a 12v signal thru one wire when the switch is activated?

Charles I took a couple of pictures of my setup. I think my kick down bracket is incorrect. Check out my pic. It’s different from the way yours look. Maybe some other members can post pictures. I also posted a picture where my relay is. I think? My Monte never had this set up. I installed it my self.

D5DF6A0E-52D0-4C4E-8682-331A9410C755.jpeg

CEFF9C0D-D6F0-4BC1-B496-59E0686C1452.jpeg

I just checked the assembly manual for a 71. I think my switch is installed right. The plunger is close to the A/C plenum because I installed a OEM A/C system. Heater Box should of been move a 1/4” to the right. I can trim the plunger. The assembly manual also tells you how to adjust the switch. It’s with the picture.

3D036453-0A11-4DFC-9537-E6CC1538D028.jpeg

Guys, so the switch can be adjusted, where my pedal touches my switch it was not proper so i added some black fuel line hose to the switch so the gas pedal would touch the switch and kick down the trans when i stepped on the throttle, sure like to get this corrected the right way thanks, roger

I checked all of my wiring and here is what I have: At the pedal switch is an Orange wire and a Purple w/black  line wire. The relay on the firewall gutter has a Green, a Blue and a Black/Purple wire (the relay appears to be an original since it looks old). The wiring at the trans has an Orange and I think a Black wire (did not jack up the car to verify the dark colored wire is black). Now I just need to figure out where and what is working or not. Some guidance would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I just checked my switch at the pedal with power and my meter. There is 12v with the key on and switch in the resting position and both leads on the two wires. When the switch is depressed there is 0v. Is this correct. It seems opposite to me.

• 3 months later...

Finally got around to working on the kickdown solenoid a couple of weekends ago. Ordered a new solenoid, pan gasket and filter. Dropped the trans pan, cleaned everything up and replaced the pan gasket and filter. Swapped the solenoid and buttoned everything up. Initially put too much fluid back into the trans and ended up siphoning some of it out. Drove the for for about 30 miles and the kickdown now works. WooHoo.

• Like 1