Monte Carlo rebuild thread

• 1 month later...

Sorry, been a little slow on the updates. But, to be honest, not much as gone on. They have had a bunch of insurance work come in, which takes precedence over restoration projects. I knew that going in, so I'm not upset at all. The floorboards are almost done, they need to install the outer wheel houses, then they can weld everything up on the interior and seam seal everything. The doors that I got from Koniks were sent out to be blasted. They were really good to begin with, but everything is being taken down to bare metal. Pictures to follow.

• 2 months later...

Not much to report but things have been moving on my Monte. They discovered a little rocker panel rust, all rusty sections were cut out and new metal was welded in. Very small amount of rust was found on the front fenders behind the front wheels. Repaired accordingly. All new body mounts were installed, and used replacement GM door hinges were rebuilt.

I ordered 2 doors from Leo, and they arrived a few months ago. My shop sent them out to be blasted and they came back as expected...rust free. But one had a dent in it, not sure if it was covered up by bondo, or if it fell and got dented after blasting. My body shop said they would take care of it. Much easier to fix a dent then work with a rusty door. 

I'll check on it this week and see if any progress has been made. He lets me keep my enclosed trailer on his property, and I need to pick it up and trade it for a new one. When I was moving to Fl. I pulled my car into the trailer and couldn't get out. Too large (fat), so I guess I need a trailer with a left side escape door. More money.

Pictures to follow

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

666D931D-46BD-47FD-9C6B-06BEBB623FA1.jpeg

What is the large hole for? I don't remember my 71 having it. Is it for Power Windows / locks?

12 minutes ago, 71SSclone said:

Yes, thats for the wiring for the power windows. Im also going to add power door locks.

My dad's 1966 Olds 98 had power windows and I remember one of the wires broke on the drivers side door from thousands of times the wire harness was bent opening and closing the door. I did tape it together but it was very tight, no room.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stangeba said:

My dad's 1966 Olds 98 had power windows and I remember one of the wires broke on the drivers side door from thousands of times the wire harness was bent opening and closing the door. I did tape it together but it was very tight, no room.

Its much worse today on new cars, easily 20-30 wires going into the door sometimes

Holy Smokes!! The body work and fitment of new panels looks great! Remember, all this work pays off.My car is 14 yrs after the fact and still looking good. Great thread on the restoration.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 420ponies said:

Holy Smokes!! The body work and fitment of new panels looks great! Remember, all this work pays off.My car is 14 yrs after the fact and still looking good. Great thread on the restoration.post-259-0-93319100-1480263543_thumb.jpg

Thanks. My body guy says that he is real pleased with the way things are coming together. Nothing on the outside shell is welded yet, Still in the "sheet metal screw phase". 

18 hours ago, stangeba said:

I had a 66 Caddy DeVille Convertible that several of the wires for them power stuff broke and I was able to splice new wires in fir inside the door to inside the cowl. everything worked fine but it was tight specially in the door

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another update,  need to fit the left door, then pull front fenders off, strip it down and epoxy coat the body shell, then start welding everything up.  In his works "It's go time"   Getting excited to get her back on track. Pics to follow

• Like 5