Monte Carlo rebuild thread

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dan and Willie. She is coming along. 

Stopped by last weekend to check on progress, they were refitting the 1/4's in prep for finally welding into place. I feel this is a major milestone! Yeah!!  Didnt take in pics because I being talked into another purchase, but declined. It was a 67 Camaro convertible. Restored 20 years ago and barely driven since. 327/AT. SS emblems but couldn't verify if it was a real SS. Real nice looking car, maroon with white interior and top. I'm itching to get another old car that runs and drives now, because I feel the Monte is going to take at least another year to get finished. 

I'm actually looking for a Buick GS. I've always loved Buicks since I was a kid, and had quite a few back in the day. 

John

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Not much to report, but progress is still being made. Finishing up some cowl rust repair, and rust repair underneath the trunk lid.

Looking at maybe spraying the trunk with a lizard skin type of material. The pic is of the interior of a 67 C10 that they just did. I think it looks good, and it can be painted to match the trunk splatter paint the factory used. 

692F5CFB-EBD4-4C35-AE83-356D621D913D.jpeg

0A3352C3-8B0E-4642-BFA2-7B003513748F.jpeg

9825D7B8-D31A-441E-88C8-AA86D6BF225F.jpeg

• Like 9

• 3 months later...

It's been quiet in here, but work is getting done. Got an update yesterday, 1/4's are welded, roof skin going on Monday, 1/4's, doors, rockers, and under the trunk pan are all ready for final primer and paint. He is looking at getting it all painted in the early fall. Great news!!! Pics to follow

John

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in today to see the progress. Roof skin in welded on, and they are working on getting it ready for paint. Just dropped all the trim so it can be fitted before painting

IMG_4995.jpeg

IMG_4996.jpeg

IMG_4997.jpeg

IMG_4998.jpeg

IMG_4999.jpeg

IMG_5001.jpeg

IMG_5002.jpeg

IMG_5003.jpeg

• Like 3

One thing they noticed is that the body line is a little more crisp on the drivers side AMD 1/4 panel compared to the NOS passenger side 1/4 panel. They said they can sharpen up the body line on the NOS 1/4 panel to match the AMD 1/4 panel.  Glad it was noticed now before paint

• Like 5

15 hours ago, willie said:

Looks really great John, keep up the great work!!!

As long as I keep writing checks, the great work will continue. There is no way that I could do this myself. Lol

I do need to search out some parts. GM wheel arch moldings, headliner kit, lower door molding clips, etc

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Wow, didn't realize its been 4 months since an update. It's still being worked on. All the trim was fitted, and all panels were bolted on and aligned. All gaps were check and adjusted. Everything is looking good. Now its taken apart again, with lots of guide coats and block sanding to get it perfect. I removed the dashboard, so they can coat the floorboards and firewall. Its coming along nicely and is real close to getting paint!! Pics to follow

• Like 2