Just purchased 1970 Monte Carlo

Hammer97321

Just picked up 1970 Monte Carlo. Car overall is in good shape as the previous owner fixed all the rust in the window channels and on the driver door.  Just one small rust spot on the drivers fender. He also completely redid the interior in black. The interior is bucket seats with floor shift and console. Motor runs but was told it needed work so it is coming out for rebuild and engine bay cleanup. Once that is done paint. 

DD6E1935-57C3-4722-9AD9-883F0BC9BC42.jpeg

7BD27E6E-C095-40B0-9FEB-08EDB6CBFBB6.jpeg

E05B6FFB-1B3A-4C6F-BC38-7F4497C00AAA.jpeg

• Like 5

I see you are in Oregon. Our annual Western Meet is in Ashland this year. We’ll have a large group of 1970-72 Monte Carlos there from 7 states and 2 provinces. The meets are a great time.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/calendar/event/7-2022-fgmcc-western-meet/

• Like 1

I have no issue rebuilding a motor and I would rather,go,through it on my schedule instead of when I am doing other things, I also wanted to do some upgrades like mild cam, headers and Holley sniper. Also if you look at the picture I just uploaded it can use some cleanup and preservation under the hood. I did see the meeting in Ashland and something to consider. As I have already started working on removing the engine it has become readily apparent the front clip has to off to use my cherry picker to pull the motor. I have started looking in the forums but does any know if there is a write up on removing the front clip?

8B40C001-5282-46DE-B900-50D0707C2207.jpeg

• Like 2

I see you have the small radiator just like my 70 which is not very common. It was only in small block cars without AC. Note that the radiator support is unique to that radiator and the correct upper rad hose is nowhere to be found. I cut the more common hose to make it fit. I’ve never had any overheating issues in the 25 years I’ve had mine.

A1635056-3B75-447F-A73B-A1730730547D.jpeg

• Like 4

I pulled my engine from the front by taking the hood off and radiator out, disconnected from the tranny. Pulled it with the tranny once and it worked but easier without.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We pulled my 350 engine 3 times and never removed the hood… We did remove the radiator….

I'll stop by the garage and get a pic of the crane we used… Not sure how far you're going with the restoration,,,, but getting another crane may be easier than removing the front clip ...

Ed C… 

Current status. Motor and trans out and I put together a wood gantry crane that did the initial pull. Transmission went to the shop as there is a local shop that does good work at less than half the book price. Glad I pulled the motor as there was a nasty ridge in the cylinders, one noticeably flat cam lobe and the motor was just generally gummed up. Happy to see it is a four bolt main. Trans could be back next week but the motor just got to shop today and that will be 4 to 6 weeks before the machine work is complete to clean up the block and go through the heads and put in hardened seats. It is a numbers matching block but a 1969 date coded motor. 

2CC778DF-2302-4990-A0B1-30CDA5FBF34E.jpeg

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

Here it is months later. Everything mechanical including motor trans and rear end has been replaced or rebuilt. Motor work complete and engine and trans in the car.  Classic Auto air installation in progress and looking to try to start the motor this weekend

FD7FEA3D-447D-4217-A98E-179394DEE9A2.jpeg

• Like 6

Good luck starting her! Flat tappet cam? Make sure to use a zinc additive or an oil with a high zinc content for a flat tappet cam. Especially to break in the cam. 

• Like 2