no brake lights

joecoz2

The brake light plunger is normally "open". When the pedal is pressed the switch closes and makes contact which turns on the brake lights.  

Check to see if you have power into and out of the switch when the pedal is depressed. You should only have power going into the switch when the pedal is at rest. 

Also check the connector in the trunk where the rear tail light harness  and the intermediate harness meet. I have had a few that the connector corroded and check the ground wire also. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I dont know if this issue was ever resolved, but i find myself in the same situation, after taking my 4spd conversion on its maiden voyage. I have power to the brake switch. Inserted a jumper to "open" the brake switch and no change. At the drivers rear connector in the trunk, I find that I have power to the tan wire (fuel sender), and the brown wire (presuming its running lights/turn signals). I believe when the brake switch opens (pedal depressed), power should end up at the yellow wire, but I have nothing.

My question is this: Does that yellow wire get its power off of the turn signal switch? Looking at the schematics, it appears there may be another connector between the one in the trunk and under the dash.   Thoughts?  

in the A.M, I'm going to just run 12v to the yellow terminal and see if the lights get brighter (aka brake light).   new bulbs of course already and the ground checked and cleaned.

The brake light wire is an independent circuit that runs from the fuse box, through the brake switch, and out to the tail light. Grounding at the frame.

Most likely the yellow wire has failed. Or it could be a switch gone bad. (dirt/corrosion in the contacts.)

Easiest way to test is to take a jumper across the two contacts on the switch. If the brake lights work, it's the switch, if not, it's a broken wire.

Good luck !

Scott.