Torque Converter Recommendations

72RustBucket

Hey guys, I'm still stocking up on parts, I have my cam on its way and my heads being worked on and am shopping around for a torque converter. Just wondering what your opinions on different brands to look at or avoid. It's mostly going to be a street car, but i will probably take it to the track once a year or so for fun. Will probably be scratching 500 hp, bolted to a 700r4. The guy working on my heads and cam recommended a stall of around 3600.

Also the heat generated by the slip of the high stall is a killer to 700r4s. 

Call a converter company with all the specs of the car and see what they recommend. Coan, ptc, continental etc. 

I have a PTC in "Big Red". It's custom built for my combo with a th400. Tight enough to act like a stock converter for street driving but stalls to 4k at the track. 

• Like 4

When I switched to the 200r4, I went with a 2400 rpm stall torque with the lock up feature.... Just had to add a power source to make it work.

I'm only running about 325-350 horsepower, and using a 3.31 rear end, but it's very streetable, and idles nicely down the highway.  :)

2400 stall, 3:42 posi , 29" in tall tire (275/60/15), has the lockup switch. 420hp. What cam? Normal rpm range on street is 1800-6200rpm's. At 70 mph , it's running right at 2,000 rpm's. knocked down 17mpg with my setup.Not too shabby. PTC Converter.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I thought it was rather high for a stall speed as well, but he told me that was just his recommendation and that I should talk to a company direct with all my specs of course. I have an external tranny cooler, so I'm not terribly worried about that. I will also have a lockup converter.  I'm probably going to call a few places, but I was just looking for opinions or places to avoid. My guy basically told me to try and avoid any "off the shelf" stuff and to try and spend the money on a good converter, which I am ok with. I've heard great things about PTC and Yank the most across a few boards.

• Like 2

There are a few ways to wire the "lock up" torque, but the simplest I found was just a direct ignition wire (with a switch) to the plug and ground wire. My transmission guy who did the rebuild grounded it internally, and set me up with a good torque. 

I'm not sure if a 700r is the same as a 200r4 though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've never had a problem with that much stall in a street car so I don't really see a problem with that. A 700r4 with e very upgrade available might last a while. If I wanted overdrive I'd either go with a 2004r or a 4l80E.