Rocker panel molding installation

I put the clips on the moldings then put it on. It was aftermarket molding and when tapping in it dented the moldings. The aftermarket moldings are much thinner than original.  A lot are going with the plastic clips for the moldings and I will be doing that when I put the original moldings back on after I get it polished. Auevco 8400 is the plastic clip number.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I put the clips on the moldings then put it on. It was aftermarket molding and when tapping in it dented the moldings. The aftermarket moldings are much thinner than original.  A lot are going with the plastic clips for the moldings and I will be doing that when I put the original moldings back on after I get it polished. Auevco 8400 is the plastic clip number.

I will order some & see if I like that option. 25 clips for 25 bucks isn’t too bad of a risk 😎

I used the auveco 8400’s and aftermarket molding. No issues. Put the clips on the molding first, line up the molding front to back then slide the clips to match the holes and pop on about 1/2 the depth of the clip then go to the next one and do 1/2 then go back to the first one and pop it on completely. Step by step 1 1/2 at a time. Careful not to ding the molding as said it thinner then oe. 

They should be installed the same way you did the metal ones. The thin thingy needs to be pointing to the top left in your photo.

10 minutes ago, Canuck said:

They should be installed the same way you did the metal ones. The thin thingy needs to be pointing to the top left in your photo.

The plastic thin thingy won’t bend that far without breaking I don’t think it is pointing to left top. But this is drivers side molding. That one clip below is arranged with same orientation. 

BA48CCBC-9DDE-49A4-A579-DBB6F6137EFB.jpeg

Just now, Brew said:

The plastic thin thingy won’t bend that far without breaking I don’t think it is pointing to left top. But this is drivers side molding. That one clip below is arranged with same orientation. 

That plastic 'thingy' bent just fine on all of the clips on my trim without breaking. If you don't put it like in the picture I posted, the clip will rotate & pop out eventually. That tail is there to prevent it from turning. I used genuine Auveco clips though, can't attest to the quality of aftermarket or ebay clips.

8400.1.jpg

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

Seems odd. I hate cars 😎

ED4D74B8-AB27-4F34-873A-7CF5B2D57E10.jpeg

I thought the same thing. Odd. But It is correct. Remember to line up the chrome with these same gap on fender and quarter ( a helper would be great at this’ll point). And the slide the clips to match the holes. Push in 1/4 way, line up and pop each one a little at a time. I used a palm sanding block with a towel around it to get a square hit so as not to ding the trim. Good luck. 

• Like 1

I popped them in by hand, carefully and with light pressure, but Dennis' way is probably better.

3 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I popped them in by hand, carefully and with light pressure, but Dennis' way is probably better.

I did it that way because of you telling me how easy they will ding. 

Just now, Brew said:

That was easy! Thanks for the help fellas! Cold beer all round!

28CF1F28-EA33-4FCB-AB12-AE768802EDD9.jpeg

See s lot of sweating for nothing. Looks great. Is that rust I see?  Lol. JK. Awesome 

37 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I did it that way because of you telling me how easy they will ding. 

I remember, lol.

The aftermarket trim is thinner than the OEM and more easily deformed when installing.