Found a weird transmission!

GatorDog72

I have a friend that just bought a 90's Camaro project car and it came with a bunch of parts. He had an odd looking transmission for sale. It looked like a th400 with a parking brake on the tailshaft. He said it came out of a motorhome and had super low miles on it. I bought it from him and once I got home, I tried researching this a little bit. The tag reads: 88-FKA-21576. I think it's a TH475. Supposedly this is a super heavy duty version of a 400 with straight-cut planetary gears and a deep pan.

I have honestly never heard of a TH475 before now and there's very little info on the web. I was hoping someone here knew more about this transmission. Are there any differences other than the gears and the pan? Do they run the same gear ratios as a 400? I have many questions! 😆

Ryan,

from what I've read, the th475 is a much heavier duty than the th400. 

the biggest differences I can see are the extra bolts on the torque, the disc brake E brake, straight cut gears, (that can be louder than most transmissions), but easier on wear and eating the horses, and has a deeper first gear. Sounds like an interesting choice for drag racing....... 

Hope that helps, Scott.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scott S. said:

Ryan,

from what I've read, the th475 is a much heavier duty than the th400. 

the biggest differences I can see are the extra bolts on the torque, the disc brake E brake, straight cut gears, (that can be louder than most transmissions), but easier on wear and eating the horses, and has a deeper first gear. Sounds like an interesting choice for drag racing....... 

Hope that helps, Scott.

I did notice it had a 6 bolt converter on it. Sounds like I hit the TH400 jackpot! I may use this as a base to build a new race transmission. If it has all heavy duty guts inside, then it seems like a good choice. I wonder if the straight cut gears will whine like a rock crusher? That would be really cool! I may have to change my rear gear to make use of this trans though. I have a 4.10 out back and 1st gear is already really short on my 400. If first gear gets any deeper it will be useless.

• Like 2

From what I saw while searching last night, it looked like it had the same gear ratios as a T400. May need to research a little more to verify.

• Like 1

Ryan do you have a transmission guy? Maybe talk to someone over at Terry's they have always been pretty knowledgeable in the past. A guy that used to work for him did a th350 for me several years ago and did a great job on it. Just a thought. Could ask Bob Bardou also he may have a suggestion. 

• Like 1

i dont know much more than already said. dont know anybody using that set up. seems like it should work on paper but you know how that goes. probably heavier with brake on back. best bet talk to trans shop.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bob 71 said:

i dont know much more than already said. dont know anybody using that set up. seems like it should work on paper but you know how that goes. probably heavier with brake on back. best bet talk to trans shop.

Bob is Terry's still as reliable as they used to be? I knew Brian that used to work there but have lost track of him now. He worked for Dicks for a while too.

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Ryan do you have a transmission guy? Maybe talk to someone over at Terry's they have always been pretty knowledgeable in the past. A guy that used to work for him did a th350 for me several years ago and did a great job on it. Just a thought. Could ask Bob Bardou also he may have a suggestion. 

Moe over at B&M did the 400 in my car. He's over in B-ville. I've heard good things about Terry's, maybe I'll give them a call. They're a lot closer to me too.

• Like 1