INNER FENDER WELL REPLACEMENT QUESTION

I've got a 71 Monte Carlo that needs the front inner fender wells replaced.  They're plastic and all cracked out.  I'd like to find a set that are metal to replace them and I've heard that 70-72 Chevelle metal inner fender wells will fit my 71 MC.   Just wondered if anyone has ever installed metal inner fenderwells on their 70-72 Monte Carlo and how much trouble they had if any.  I've got a 71 MC convertible as well  that has metal inner fender wells,  but I didn't install them.  I know many of the parts used on that car were Chevelle, but can't say with 100% certainty that the inner fender wells are.  Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this and could lend some advice.  Thanks, Britton

Like Leghome  said, the metal inner fender wells work. I installed them in my 70 SS, Big Red and are installing them, when they finally arrive, int my son's 70 pro street Monte. 

• Like 1

Britton, as Larry said, yes they will work with a bit of manipulation and alteration.

That said, please keep in mind the ones on your inner fender wells are now over 50 years old so that ain't bad.  One of the nice things about the plastic is they are easy to clean and will never rust or need to be painted.  I replaced my plastic ones over 15 years ago with plastic ones and I have no signs of any deteriation or cracks.

rob

The plastic ones in my 71 are over 15 years old and still look new. I just put a new set of plastic ones in my 70 also. Both are from The Parts Place.

79FFB74E-41BC-43AA-B0FC-9CE23D197BE2.jpeg

8B7B5CA0-1052-4227-8E03-C575CD8A6682.jpeg

683DD906-FBEE-4D9A-B857-E574497B78FF.jpeg

Just be mindful when you install them and tighten them slowly. It doesn't take much to distort the large fenders on the Monte Carlo. I had to elongate a few holes. If I was to replace them on a car that didn't need any body work I would go with the Monte specific plastic ones.

• Like 1

I replaced my original plastic ones with metal ones I got from Koniks about 5 years pho and the powder coat has peeled in the last couple of years and rusted. I have plastic ones that I just got from The Parts Place and will be installing them soon. 

Debated that question about 3 years ago. If I remember the metal ones for chevelle are not long enough on-the front end for a Monte.. I went with the plastic ones from dynaco on eBay.129 $ each.. they really are nice and shine like painted metal .. 9953D847-2A51-42E4-8C1F-9AA4E68931B3.thumb.png.7fbc8217d99e2c98db29c8a9fe684749.pngA7DBBBEB-D53F-4FEF-B192-F0D9192ACD68.thumb.jpeg.56a2576cde2dbe543e6e2fbc0428408a.jpeg

I just installed metal ones in my 71'. I ordered inner fenders for a 71 Chevelle and they seem to go in really well, like what the other guys said, yes some massaging of the holes were required and all that I had to do is reinstall the extensions up front.