Correct nut to loosen distributor?

Crom Cruach

I loosened this nut to adjust the advance as I checked the timing. I’m now wondering if it’s the correct nut because the dist didn’t budge when this nut was loose enough for the plate underneath to move freely. Is the plate underneath broken or am I at the wrong nut?

That is the correct bolt to adjust distributor. May have to  tap to get it to move. There is a gasket under it, gets sticky from that and also if oil has not been changed in a long while.Did you drain oil,new filter,1 quart transmission fluid, 4 quarts 30 weight, run engine to temperature for20 minutes ( no driving). Then Drain that oil, change filter, add your good oil, (I run Valvoline VR1 ) high zinc content. That trans fluid will clean any sludge in engine. No more the 20 minutes at temperature. I let it drain overnight. Should be good to go.

• Like 3

Maybe I don’t need to move it. I got 4° advance at cold idle, and 8° warm idle. I don’t know rpm but when I revved a little it went past 12°. Manual says:

Centrifugal advance 18°@4200rpm

8° ignition timing at idle BTDC

engine sounds good after I fixed a vacuum leak

• Like 5